Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell Me Everything Bad you've heard or experienced about elrick basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by furiously funky, Jun 9, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    I'm thinking of working towards an elrick 6, and was curious as to what other players thought of them. There's no need to convince me to like em, so i want to hear if anyone has anything they don't like about them.

2. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    I played a neck thru Elrick recently at Bass Emporium and was not impressed at all. The tone was OK but not worth the price which was well over 2 grand.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i don't like how they sound, but i don't like how ANY bass with a full bart setup sounds.

real thin, flat necks, which i don't necessarily NOT like, but it's not my favorite.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have three. There's nothing Elrick-specific that I don't like.

5. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    the most annoying thing IMO about Elrick is that I don't have one:( ;)

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The biggest thing I didn't like about Elricks when I chose my Jerzy over an Elrick was that the US rep tried talking me out of anything beyond an ash/maple top combo (not that there's anything wrong with that). I just wanted my bass to be a little more unique.

That said, every Elrick I've ever had my hands on was spectacular! I may still have to pick one up.:D

7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    A friend has an Elrick 6 neckthru. It is a great bass.

Chuck

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My Gold Standard 7 has an Aguilar preamp and it has the lowest output of any active bass I've run across. It doesn't appear to have a trim pot to adjust it higher, either, unless I'm missing something.

9. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    His basses kick-ass, period. I did, however, just sell my 4...not because it isn't a great bass...it is. I used the cash to finance my new Nordstrand, which IMO is the finest instrument made. That guy just has the touch! That being said, if you are playing an Elrick in a store that you don't like, DON'T BUY IT! Rob will certainly make you anything you like. Most instruments even in high end stores don't have player-specific setups, your choice of strings, your wood preferences. His basses are absolutely worth 2 grand. Just don't look for the general impressions of a custom-made instrument. There are Foderas that I've played that I think are total turkeys...a dog with fleas. But someone else will pick the same chunk of wood up and spooge. It's preference. You won't be dissatisfied with a bass that you design with Rob for YOU. That said, I just installed a OBP-3 in my Nordstrand fretless...I ripped out my Haz-Lab. It absolutely made the bass sound like God himself. I don't like Bart pres at all. I'd have Rob make you one with the OBP-3.
    Your milage probably won't vary.

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I dislike that JC sold his Elrick to someone other than me!:eek: That's okay, maybe it was meant to be that I should have Carey build me a bass instead...There still is hope though, maybe I can sabatoge that check!:D Just kidding.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Problems with Elrick:

1. They suck.

2. They're ugly.

3. I don't like them.

4. They blow.

5. They still suck.

Note to Elrick General Counsel: This is a joke. Elricks rule and rule. RULE!

12. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    The Elrick I played actually had the Aguilar pre in it.The construction was solid but this particular bass was not my cup of tea.BTW, everything Matt says about Carey Nordstrand's basses is true. I received mine the other week and it rules.

13. The only thing I didn't like about my Elricks was that the lower horn of the original shape tended to dig into my leg when I played sitting down, especially with the heavier 6.

Mike

14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Mike,
    That was one of my thoughts as well. I wonder if Rob ever considerred the size of someones leg in relation to the lower horn. For me, being a larger person than normal, the space seems really small to be able to play wile sitting down. To be honest, I don't think it would fit comfortably on my large leg.

15. Halftooth -- The orginal shape actually looks cooler (to me, anyway), but I expect the newer Evolution series was designed specifically to cut down on some of those "lower horn digging into the leg" issues. I haven't tried one, though.

Mike

16. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The Elrick bodies can be very light, particularly with the electronic cavity hollowed out as he does. This can cause some neck dive with a wenge neck.

17. I don't really remember any neck dive with my wenge-necked 5, even with a rather light tulipwood body. It might be different with a 6 or with a different body wood, though.

Mike

18. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    My only complaint with Elrick is customer service. Too hard to get info. That's been my experience, anyway.
    Otherwise, this bass is simply awesome. Sounds great, plays great, light, well balanced. I just can't say enough about it.

19. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The dive was slight and it was on a swamp ash Gold with no top. It was nothing like I experienced with my Warwick.