tell me how stupid this idea is

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Jul 4, 2002.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Has anybody ever tried laminating/gluing/bonding a bolt-on neck to the body of their bass? Does filling the space with some sort of bonding stuff have any effects on the sound of a bass?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes. Look at some of the differences in a Fender guitar vs. Gibson. The Fenders use either no, or almost no glue, only bolts, while the Gibson's use liberal amounts of glue in addition to the bolts. It does have an effect. Now, what that difference is, I couldn't say, they have completely different electronics and woods...sustain I guess would be able to be quantifiable.

But glue ONLY on a bolt on might not hold the neck on that well...
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    In general, Gibson basses are dark and plunky. Fender basses are bright and spanky. There's the difference.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That has nothing to do with the body/neck connection.

Set-neck is in between neck-thru and bolt-on. Fodera and Le Fay are examples. Both are anything but dark and plunky.

But glueing a bolt-on probably makes not really a difference - too much glue that makes it unpredictable.
  5. One of the differences in Gibsons that made them "dark and plunky" was the use of Mahogany for both the neck and body in the EB type basses and such. Later basses like the G3, Ripper, Grabber, and Artist used the brighter woods like maple with the set neck but I tend to think it was their pups that kept them from being as bright and articulate as they could have been.
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    not to speak about the short scale factor of old Gibsons....
  7. Don't do it man!!! :eek:

Glueing your bolt-on neck will not change your tone or sustain to any degree that you'll really be able to hear. What it will due is make it danged near impossible to change your neck should you need to in the future. I'd think this one through VERY carefully before I went forward.
  8. i always put a tiny bit of glue on the tip of the screw, coz it locks the screw in even tighter.

and i always put in a toothpick :)
  9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My Curbow fretless is a set neck design.

This bass sounds amazing, and is anything but dark, and plunky.

I don't see any reason to try it with a bolt on neck, though. The sound difference would be negligible for the effort and time involved.
  10. DON'T DO IT!!! There is more to set-necks than just glue. Set-neck design and bolt-on neck design are two entirely different things. If it was designed to be a set-neck instrument, it would have rolled out of the factory with a set neck!
  11. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Very. I think you need the wood on wood to enhance resonance.
  12. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    ok ok, i get it! LOL thanks guys (and/or gals)