1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tell me how you like to see your minor 7th chords formatted in sheet music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PauFerro, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Cmin7

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Cm7

17 vote(s)
    54.8%
  3. C-7

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. I don't care as long as its readable

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. Other (please make a comment)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Creating a book of original jazz songs by composers around the world that can be downloaded, performed and shared for free. Please tell me the format in which you like to see your minor 7th chords formatted. This'll help develop the format of the lead sheets...

Thanks!

2. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    ...And Make the Dang Things Big Enough!

I'm the guy that goes nuts over trying to decipher the 12-th generation copy of a lightly drawn penciled part, (cue shades of gray, and not very far apart at that) and puts it all into MuseScore so I can print something I can darn well read...

For standard letter sized sheets, I'm using 32 point bold serif for chord symbols unless that actually causes space issues. I'm so sick of sheet music with 10-12 point sans-serif plain text unreadable from 3 feet away chord symbols. I try to make it possible for folks with normal vision to play chords from behind melody players that are reading the notes, if need be, and I also try to make it possible for our guy with macular degeneration to stand a chance. I did have one I was working on recently where fitting things limited it to 25 point, or so, but in most cases, it fits, no problem, and makes life so much easier all around.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    BassChuck and PauFerro like this.
  3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Order of my preference: C-7 followed closely by Cm7. Cmin7 is a distant third.

IMHO C-7 is easier to write and easier to read, but ultimately it makes little difference as long as it is legible. Triangles for Maj7 are quite nice as well.

PauFerro likes this.
  4. Cm7 first, then Cmin7, then lastly C-7.

Photocopying often makes C-7 look like C7. The minus sign '-' is hard to read in poor lighting, glare, plastic display books, or at a distance IME.

I've heard band members moan about the minus sign notation that are older or with poor vision.

Cmaj7 or [C with triangle], I don't mind either. Plus sign for aug is fine.

G needs two tails to stop it looking like C.
    E & F look alike in some fonts too.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    JohnDeereJack, Pacman and PauFerro like this.
  5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    All this is good. If you're going to use a triangle for maj7, make sure it doesn't look like a '0'.
    And... dim7 is probably better written as mb57.

6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    'splain please: where's the second tail go?

Uh...no. dim7 (or °7, whatever your shorthand for "diminished 7th chord" is) is not the same as "mb57". Nor even m7b5.
    A minor 7th flat five chord -- sometimes referred to as a "half-diminished" chord -- consists of the root, flatted third, flatted fifth, and flatted seventh degrees of the scale. An actual -- fully [sic] -- diminished seventh chord consists of the root, flatted third, flatted fifth, and double-flatted seventh degrees of the scale. So Cm7b5 is C-Eb-Gb-Bb, whereas C°7 is C-Eb-Gb-Bbb (aka, a stack of minor thirds).

ONYX and Schlyder like this.
  7. printable-letter-g-silhouette.

8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I guess I don't understand fonts/typography. Are the "tails" those two barbs at the top and bottom right?

9. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I think he's talking about the horizontal line that represents the "ledge" that is horiztontal to the surface of the earth. That makes it clear that it's a G and and not a "C".

@Groove Doctor -- which font did you use for this example above? I am trying to use timeless fonts, that are easily available in Word, for example, for the first part of the symbol (C, D, E, etcetera).

10. Just make it obvious & un-ambiguous.

I googled 'letter G' for images. That one jumped out at me the most. No idea of the particulars, sorry.

11. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I prefer "C-7", only because that's how it was first presented to me when I started in this theory nonsense (;)) at the age of 14--I just got used to seeing it that way.

But any of the three forms are fine with me.

12. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Groove Doctor likes this.