1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me if i have the right idea (new to effects)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SoloBassist, Sep 19, 2008.

1. SoloBassist

SoloBassist

Sep 19, 2008
    I was reading around and I found that Chorus is a decent effect for Bass. I also read that you should get an Equalizer just to help your sound. As for what type of music I play I don't know yet but im really into Neo-classical metal/rock. So im thinking i should get a overdrive pedal. I also already have a Flanger that i found for $5.

So anyway I made a list of things im interested and i wanted you to give me opinions/expereices with them.

Danelectro FAB Flanger Pedal (Have)
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus
    Danelectro Cool Cat Overdrive
    DigiTech XbS Bass Squeeze
    Danelectro Fish and Chips 7-Band EQ Pedal

Thanks for your help.

2. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Hrm. You don't need anything and basic tone should always come from just your hands, bass and amp/cab. IMO an effect pedal should change the sound, not be fundamental to it.

As for your specific pedal choices, go to a store and try everything you're interested in. Revues do not compare to personal experience.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, a couple of thoughts. One, you are looking at the Zoom acoustic multi, which is designed for an acoustic guitar; why not buy the B2, which is designed for bass? Also, the Zoom already contains the other effects. So your best bet is to get the B2 and learn how to use each of its functions thoroughly- that way you'll learn everything you need to know about what the different effects sound like and which ones may be useful or appealing to you.

The other pedals are OK, except for the Digitech Bass Squeeze which I don't recommend.

4. SoloBassist

SoloBassist

Sep 19, 2008
    Wow thanks for informing me about the A2 I thought it was interchangeable. XD

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    An EQ pedal is a utility that you may or may not need. Leave that off your shopping list until you find you have a use for one.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'd suggest trying to establish 'your' tone first. Then adding effects to that tone afterwards. You see waaaay to many people' who's 'tone' comes from effects rather then their bass/amp/hands, and it almost always ends up 'questionable' sounding.

And regarding adding effects...
    EQ = use to cut out offensive frequencies in your tone, rather than boosting other frequencies. A good tone doesn't necessarily need this.
    Other pedals = add one by one to fit specific musical needs.
    You'll be amazed how much you can do without effects if you have a good core tone, and the knowlege of how to use and adapt your core tone.

7. SoloBassist

SoloBassist

Sep 19, 2008
    I have a really basic amp All it does is volume control.
    I have a Fender Squier Affinity Bass
    And thats it if it matters.

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Sounds like you could use a better amp first. Maybe the bass is actually nice, I don't know, but if your amp sucks then you won't sound any nicer with a bunch of pedals stuck in-between. Odds are you'll sound worse.

Just a bit of advice, feel free to ignore. :)

9. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    While you're figuring out your sound, buy used so that you can flip the pedal for about the same price when you decide you want something different.

10. If you like how it sounds and only want more versatility, then you're good no matter what anyone says. +1 to Bongo here.

If you feel like you're trying to fix your rig with effects, it won't work. Start elsewhere.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Huge +1. Save your money, get a better amp. Think about pedals after you have the basics covered.