1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me if this exists?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cmaddox13@, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Cmaddox13@

Cmaddox13@

Dec 9, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Is there any pedal that can make your bass go super low. Not quite brown note but almost there. Or is this just something that comes with bigger speakers?

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Search for octavers, there's loads of threads discussing the various ones available, but they blend in an octave below your regular sound to hit those brown notes.

3. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    DOD Meatbox?
    not an octaver, but adds subharmonix on fixed frequencies.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Octave pedals, octavers, sub-octave pedals - all the same thing. At minimum, they produce a note that's one octave below the note you play.

But out of curiosity, why do you want that? If you're wanting to go well below your low E note, you're going to run into a lot of problems reproducing those low frequencies without an efficient amp and speakers.

What are you trying to achieve?

A 5-string bass (with a low B string) goes lower than a 4-string can - maybe that's what you really need?

5. Cmaddox13@

Cmaddox13@

Dec 9, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    really what i want is to be able to get really massive subharmonic like synth sounds. Something that you hear (and feel) as a band is getting ready to go on stage. I think that usually a synth does these at shows but i wanted to know if i could do it with my bass.

6. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The main issue with (analogue, certainly) octave pedals is that they don't cope very well with decaying sounds, especially on low notes. So if you just want to play shorter notes, higher up the fingerboard (D or above) you'll be OK, but don't expect to be able to hold a long note without the tracking going all weird.

Maybe visit a store and try out the Boss OC-3 in OC-2 mode - it'll do one octave and two octaves down, and you can blend the three voices so you can take the original guitar sound out completely if you want. If you like the OC-3, try to find a used OC-2 instead - much cheaper!

7. It looks like you play jazz basses from your profile. You might want to try favoring the neck pickup and plucking with your right hand up where the neck meets the body
    (with the tone knob rolled back). It should sound massive with the amp you're using. You also might want to try muting the strings a bit with the side of your right hand right where the string meets the bridge and plucking downward with your right thumb. You could also try the DOD fx25 envelope filter with the sensitivity rolled back so the filter doesn't open with your plucking. That's how Bill Laswell gets some of his massive dub tones. You also might want to try some flatwound strings on one of your basses.

8. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    You first concern HAS to be a speaker cabinet that can reproduce the kind of frequencies you sound like you're talking about...currently, I know of ZERO. Sorry.

9. Cmaddox13@

Cmaddox13@

Dec 9, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Thanks guys. You answered my question.