1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me I'm crazy... (G&L idea)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jun 3, 2014.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I want my SB-1 to have a reverse P pickup for better string-to-string balance.
    I'd need a swimming pool rout and custom guard.

Taking a crazy idea a step further, I was thinking about putting a John East P-Retro in it.

Help me, I'm crazy.

2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    If the string to string balance is off, why not adjust the pole pieces and/or the two halves of the pickup? I've had a couple of basses with reverse P pickups and they never sounded any different to me, some people say it can change the tone of the bass.

SirMjac28 and Dominic DeCosa like this.
  3. Doesn't the John East P-Retro use a permanent rechargeable battery? Like those Lightwave basses?

Would plugging a wall wart into your bass be acceptable to you?

4. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    Do what you want. But IMO it's a G&L Leo Fender designed SB-1 bass guitar.
    Leave it alone!

You're crazy.

Frenchy-Lefty and maestrovert like this.
  5. If it ain't broke...
    Why fix it 'til it is ?

Find a cheap(er) body to try your mod out on, and if it doesn't work out, you're not out much and haven't destroyed the resale value.

6. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Seems like a bad idea

7. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Describe how the string to string balance is off now? E & A too hot or D & G? Is it volume or tone balance?

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Those pickups are very hot as passive. I don't think a preamp will play well with it (IMHO). As far as a reverse P, I don't think that it's going to change the tone or string balance.

9. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Yep. :)

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    What he said. I wouldn't try something different on a $1200 guitar without some test runs on a cheaper bass first.

11. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    K I'm crazy. Thanks, that's all I needed!

Not doing anything w/ it. :D

12. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Good idea, but just for kicks, whats unbalanced ? Tone, volume ?

13. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    So you didn't believe me the first 20 times I told you this...:rollno:

14. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    I'm glad you changed your mind on the matter. G&L is in the "no mods ever" club.

15. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I agree 100%, same with musicmans... let people who pay 3 grand for spectors do mods

Modding Squiers VMs is fun as hell though... if you dont like it sell it & get the MJ4 man

Personally I'm waiting on the MJ-5

16. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    plug your bass into a mixing board, or something with a meter. even an old tape deck will work. pluck each string with even pressure, and adjust the pickup height screws so they read evenly on the meter. it will sound much more consistent and professional.

17. I think what the OP is getting at is the idea that a reverse P is arguably more logical than standard P as it will tend to grab more highs from the low strings and lows from the high strings. Tighten the lows and fatten the highs and all that. Given that almost all basses with P pickups use the traditional layout I'm not sure it's a good idea but I've never tried it.

18. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    He may be saying that... but I didn't want to assume. This is why I dont go maple on PJs although Carvins PJ doesn't seem to have that lack of balance from the videos I've been listening to today

19. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Exactly. But... I'm leaving it. And honestly, it sounds great. Just my head being stupid.

20. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I never believe you. I only believe the Internet.

Also, you HATE G&L. HATE HATE HATE!