Tell me more about this bridge…

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Camarillo, Jan 27, 2022.

1. 983A51E1-1D2F-47BE-8052-B35C54C53CCD.jpeg
    I need some help from you guys.
    Tell me something about the 2 pieces bridge in the picture. It’s installed on a Cort Artisan A4. It’s on sell, I don’t know the year of production, I always saw those basses stringed through body.
    Thanks!

tallulahsdaddy likes this.
  2. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    Korean made, early 2000's.

MonetBass likes this.
  3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This. I have one on my Artisan B4FL. It took some help from friendly folks on here to figure out how to lock the string saddles in place, since it's a unique design.
    IsWRXcq.jpg

4. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    wow, that tailpiece seems to be hanging off in space there.

barts are good

5. It's called a Fortress Bridge, I had one on my A6 from around 2005. Not sure if's proprietary or who made it, but my guitar tech was impressed with it.

MonetBass likes this.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The Kubicki saddle assemblies were similar. The saddles are threaded for up 'n down and the cap screws are the lock-downs once you've dialed-in intonation.

KubickiBridge.jpg

Killing Floor and MonetBass like this.
  7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Actually the string retainer is recessed into the body. It's solid.

Not these MK1s so much. My guitar tech has it right now, swapping those out for MK4CBCs and a NTMB+F preamp.

The cool thing about the notched string saddles is that there is a brass pin with a rounded top that the string sits on. It really helps the strings ring with great clarity, IMO.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    tallulahsdaddy likes this.
  8. In the meanwhile I discovered the bass is a 2001, as you guys said, early 2000s.
    I’m curious about how you set the intonation on that thing…

Zooberwerx likes this.
  9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    See the hex screws adjacent to each saddle? Find the properly-sized hex key and insert...you may have to slacken and remove each string for better access (PITA). Caution: the hex screw may be a reverse / left-hand thread so don't force. Loosen the lock-down hex screw and each saddle will move to & fro with some thumb pressure. Once the intonation is dialed-in, re-tighten the lock-down. It appears the E saddle has been reversed to better accommodate the normal "retreated" position.

Riis

Camarillo likes this.
  10. Had a luthier do a set up right after I bought it, over 15 years and it never needed to be adjusted again. That being said, I used the same brand/gauge of strings the whole time I owned it.

Camarillo likes this.