Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me the story of how you got your first good bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fret-less Six, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Just like the thread says...tell me about how you picked up your first "good" bass...I got mine at sam ash, as soon as I picked it up I knew it was the one...unfortunately I didn't have the money at the time so I asked my parents for the rest of it...I knew I had to have this carvin, it was at the time the best thing I had ever felt...anyway lets hear your story.

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I will have my first good bass not long from now. I'm actually in the process of building it at the moment, though.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I went to a store and bought a ric. It was expensive, and I should have bought a used one. The End.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It was three weeks before my 16th birthday. I ventured into my local guitar store, and played a sweet '77 P-bass. Went in weeks later with my mom and the rest of the money and it sold the day before. I walked out of there with a slightly beaten up Stingray.

5. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    My first bass was an Ibanez Ric copy my parents' got me when I was 14. I got my first 'real' good bass when I got finished with infantry training in the Marine Corps. I grew up 25 miles from the Carvin factory, and got staioned in the USMC only 18 miles further away!! So, first paycheck, off to Carvin I went to get me an all-black LB-50. Wish I still had that bass today......................... :meh:

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One word:

Gard.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I got my first GOOD bass from eBay... and my first REALLY DAMN GOOD bass from MJ5150 :).

Ray

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My first good bass is my current, G&L L-2500 (Tribute). It's a good bass, right?? Just kidding... It's great.

It went like this: I went to the classifieds, saw Roscoe5 here at TB selling it, talked to him for the next few days, then pulled the trigger. $425 and never been happier. I've only been playing a few months... :)

9. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    My first really good bass was my very first bass actually, the same 1992 MIM P-bass that my dad started playing on too. Truth is though, he never really gave it to me, I just kinda stole it! :ninja:

10. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I was like 11 or 12, had been palying bass for a few years, but didn't really know much about them. I saved up money FOREVER to get a awesome new bass. I spend a day at GC and Mars Music, played everything they had in the store 4 times. I really liked the "cool green looking one with the weird symbol on the top." It's still my main bass today (now 17) it's a korean spector q4, who would have thought?

11. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    First good Bass? A Spector off ebay. First Pimpiningly Sweet and expensive bass? A nicer Spector off Ebay. :D

12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    My first good bass is my 1982 G&L L2000. I was in between jobs and working at a guitar shop part time. My bass at the time was an ibanez soungear peice of garbage. I also had a mexi jazz before the ibanez. Anyway, A customer brought in an ampeg combo for repair. I grabbed the G&L of the rack to test out the amp. That was it, i was blown away. I rember thinking, wow so this is what a bass is supposed to be like. And the tone was just amazing. I bought it that afternoon.

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually my first bass was one of the nicer ones I've had. I was 15 and was playing in my first band as the designated Hetfield wannabe. We couldn't find a bass player in our tiny little home town, and because I was the less talented guitarist I volunteered to switch until we found someone...

At first I was nto real enthusiastic about it. I remember thinking "How the heck can I make this sound cool?". Then my lead player loaned me her copy of "Cliff Em All". I was f'ing speechless after watching it.

The next day I managed to talk my parents into giving me a bass as an early birthday present. My brother (a incredible classical and blues guitarist) took me shopping for the perfect one. He steered past row after row of P and J basses (according to him anything without a Fender logo is a waste of a perfectly useful tree that could have become a Stratocaster). I skipped them all and locked my sights on a really nice Washburn. It had active PUs, unfinished maple neck, two octave fingerboard and a really slick black/blue sparkle finish with silver hardware.

I also traded one of my guitar amps for a 200 watt crate head and 410 cab.

I skipped school for the rest of the week trying to learn to play "Anesthesia". We never found another bass player, and I never thought of myself as a guitarist again.

14. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I saw a 6 string Pedulla at GC on Sunset in Hollywood when I was 18. Played it...liked it. Worked for a year or so at a health food cafe in Ventura (where I lived for a while), saved up about two grand, happened to go back to the GC and it turns out they had the same Pedulla...they'd sent it back for an upgrade, got it back, so I put some cash down to hold it. Got my girlfriend to lend me the difference, went back a day later and picked it up. I did pay her back, as I'm pretty honest.

Still have the bass...not the girl :crying:

15. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    I started on guitar and the local "Eddie Van Halen" Knocked up some girl ans had to sell his gear, sold his 72 Marshall Super Lead to my "other guitarist" for $350 (head and cab! :eek: ) and I bought his Hamer Special for $80. (talked my mom into an early b-day gift in the middle of summer my b-day is in january :cool: ) anyway I was 13 my friend and I found a drummer and singer and needed a bass player, Him being the better guitarist, I opted to get a bass. A couple of weeks of looking around my home town couldnt find anything, went on vacation with my folks and took the guitar with me, and wondered into a music store in Ft. SMith Arkansas. There it was....CLIFF BURTONS BASS! the Aria Pro II SB1000, one pick-up, black, neck-thru. I asked the salesman if they would be interested in a trade, showed him what I had, traded me for my guitar and $20. $100 for the best 1st bass I could possibly think of.....22 years later, it's still a great bass. I love it!

16. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    My 15th birthday present was an Asian-built, plywood-bodied Jazz copy from Sears. This was the closest I could get to the bass I had seen Paul McCartney wielding on the Band On The Run foldouts.

Fast forward about a year and a half... the bass is on the fritz, and having become emotionally attached to the "Sears Special" ( :eyebrow: ), I want it repaired. So off to the Sears repair center it goes. And off into the great ether it went! The bass actually went missing somewhere between my local store and the place it was sent for repairing. So in lieu of my bass, Sears & Roebuck give me $150 bucks and say "Sorry for losing your bass!"

So I take that $150 bucks...

...and use it as a down payment on a brand new MapleGlo Rickenbacker 4001 which had to be special ordered by my local dealer. Now THAT was a long wait!

17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    It was my first bass. I went to 4 different stores looking for "that" bass. I must have played 50+ bass guitars in two weeks. I tried cheap and high end stuff. I was actually looking to buy a Yamaha but none felt "right". I then tried a BC Rich NJ Innovator. Pearlescent white, black hardware, and EMG Select pups. It felt right. The tone was right. The price was right... $425. She was mine. She still is. She always will be. :D

18. I spotted a sunburst Jazz at my local shop almost 3 years ago, noticing it was made in the USA and a million times nicer than any other Fender I'd seen. Don't ask me why, but I loved every bit of it. However, I had my sights set on a 70's Rickenbacker in a rare purpleish color going for a hundred bucks more. It was beat up, but played amazingly. In the end, I was an unemployed 15 year old and needed my parents contribution to buy a bass. I tried to convince them to chip in for the Rick, but it was beat up, and Ricks aren't the most versatile basses (ie, I had trouble slapping on em back in the day). But that Jazz was still there, after a year of hanging at the same spot. And so I bought it, and it's still my number 1 bass. In 6 years, it hadn't been dented or scratched once. Of course, that changed after I got it, but so far so good... I still love it.

19. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Let's see, it goes something like this. I found talkbass. I became a member of talkbass. You guys gave me gas. I go to the talkbass classifieds, 4 days later I have an American Deluxe Jazz V in my hands. :D

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yamaha BB404 fretless. I love the sound of this with TI flats. Second bass, first and only fretless. I've had it since last May :).