1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me this is legit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JSandbloom, Apr 5, 2015.

1. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    I'm about to drive 2 hours to pick this bad boy up. I just want to run it by here to make sure it visually checks out. I'm not a Ricky expert by any means.

Rickenbacker Base Guitar

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'm interested in what those in the know have to say, too, because the price is hard to believe.
    If it is genuine, I guess you realize it's the kind of deal you'll never see again.

3. image. The tuning machines don't look original.

johnpbass and Goatrope like this.
  4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Tuners don't look right, but the fingerboard looks correct. Any way they can get you more photos, particularly serial number on jack plate? If it's a fake it looks pretty convincing, and a steal at that price. The Rickresource forum has a serial number database, take a smartphone or laptop with you and look up the serial number on the spot. If it is fake, probably a Japanese "lawsuit" era from the 70's or 80's, could still be a very good bass. Good luck with it.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  5. I have not read any of the replies, just feel like responding straight away.

I could tell you it is legit, if that's what you want to hear.

That said, it's so bogus I don't know where to begin.

cdef likes this.
  6. ElliottStrong

ElliottStrong Music City via the Motor City Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Nashville/ Detroit
    It says right in the title "base" guitar, not "bass" guitar.

7. dutchwife

dutchwife

Aug 6, 2007
    Osaka, Japan
    Not the first time to have seen that particular spelling error, even on this site, so I don't know that's reason to be suspicious. Nevertheless, at least you've stated a reason (even if possibly in jest) rather than opinion. C'mon 62J, if it's 'so bogus' surely you could try to begin sharing your wealth of knowledge, thus helping to prevent the OP making a decision he might regret?
    (To quote a frequently used sign-off here) Just sayin'........

Aqualung60, SpanishDave and StinkFoot like this.
  8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Problem with these type of listings is that they have a huge audience and therefore need to be picked up right away or you won't be getting the bass at all let alone a great deal. The longer you wait, the more likely other potential buyers will offer more or tell the buyer it is worth twice as much, etc. Also, don't discount any local TBers at this point. :woot:

Looks like an older RIC with replacement tuners. Looks pretty good to me from 3 crappy pictures. Worth a look for sure at the price.

I would get over there ASAP with $$$ and enough knowledge of what to look for in a legit RIC.

PortlandBass77 and dutchwife like this.
  9. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    What he said^^^

Aqualung60 likes this.
  10. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    Don't waste the gas or your time. NOT legit. It's a Chickenbacker. Made in China. Might be worth a couple of hundred bucks but don't expect anything Rickenbacker-ish about the sound.

11. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    I think it's a really good fake, and possibly someone just changed the name plate at some point, here are a couple of fakes with the same tuners

rare-CMI-ric-lawsuit-bass-1024x682. eldegas-ricky-headstock-closeup.

12. ElliottStrong

Jun 1, 2013
    Nashville/ Detroit
    Sarcasm is never lost on TB

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  13. ElliottStrong

Jun 1, 2013
    Nashville/ Detroit
    It's fake, request more pics

dutchwife likes this.
  14. Well, not sure why I am being called out, but ok. Now that I am done PLAYING MY BASS, I'll point out a few things.

Headstock shape - close, but not quite right

Body wings - again close in shape, but not quite right. Also note, the lower wing seems to be thinner, like recent models (and VERY old ones) yet the upper wing is like the 70s-80s wings, which were wider (mine is an 85).

White pup selector switch - wrong

White nut - wrong

Tuners - wrong

Strap button - crap pict, but looks like its wrong too. It's clearly in the wrong place.

The neck is set too far into the body, by about a fret? This has varied on Ricks, but I have never seen a 20 fret Rick w/ the 20th fret set So far down. The upper part of the body typically meets the neck AT the 20th, not 19th fret.

Pick guard shape looks a bit off, and it has only 7 screws, should have 8.

I'm sure there are more things, but the pictures really suck.

My advice DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!

15. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    I appreciate you pointing all that out. I agree it's a fake, but a few of the reasons you listed (nut/switch color, number of pickguard screws) could be explained away as replacements, however; the more telling differences (which are also present in the "CMI" bass I posted above) really give it away, the different tuners, the strap pin location, the slightly different headstock shape, the neck a fret too deep into the body, I agree with all of these, and there is no explaining those away. I think it's a "lawsuit era" fake.

To the OP: I might still try it out though, a lot of the lawsuit era intruments were actually very nice. If it is an older fake and it plays/sounds well, maybe let the seller know you know it's fake and try to get a drop in price.

16. squirefan

squirefan

Nov 22, 2009
    Lansing, Ks.
    If you go, especially with money in your pocket, take a friend with you.

tbz, DanBass, kwaping and 4 others like this.
  17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Pup cover is standing too tall off the pickup surround. Only time I have seen that is on fakes.

18. ElliottStrong

Jun 1, 2013
    Nashville/ Detroit
    Is that good enough for you @dutchwife ? Lol

19. BassShark

BassShark

Feb 16, 2007
    Metuchen, NJ
    The fingerboard looks too dark. The Univox Ric copies had dark rosewood boards like that. They were very close copies, I'm sure many have been fooled by those with Ric truss rod covers installed. The tuners on this bass are different than the Univox copies, though. Easy to check, take the truss rod cover off. If it has socket head nuts instead of hex heads it's a copy. Some of the Univoxes have 2 rods, some only one.

20. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    As others have said, probably fake, but don't necessarily write it off as a bass. Some of the Japanese lawsuit basses were as good or (sorry but it's true) BETTER built than contemporary Rics. In the pre-CNC days, Rics were all over the place QC-wise (still are by some accounts). Lots of variation in horn dimensions, fingerboard wood, point where body wings meet neck, headstock size, number of frets, etc. over the years, so none of that is conclusive IMHO. It's not a Chickenbacker, those are almost all set-neck with clearly different hardware. If it isn't gone already, it will be very soon. I'd at least jump in the car and go look at it. The asking price isn't far off private sales for lawsuit basses of this quality BTW. Maybe the seller doesn't know what he has and can be talked down. He can't sell it on Ebay or John Hall would have it taken down, so you might still have a shot. Curious to see how this turns out.

Aqualung60 likes this.