Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me what amp to buy!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Okay, I've got a few possible deals for a used bass amp coming up and I have to pick one. I need something relatively portable, but with enough volume to cut through a rock band with 1 or 2 100 watt guitarists, the world's 8th loudest drummer and possibly a keyboard. I play fingerstyle, occasionally with some (very bad) slap/pop-funk and picking (I use these as more of an onstage gimmick than anything else.) All amps will be used with my Aguilar GS112 cab for the time being.

1. Euphonic Iamp combo for $800
    2. QSC PLX for $400 (with a demeter or kern preamp)
    3. EBS Fafner for about $1000
    4. Aguilar DB750 for around $1000
    5. SWR Bass 750 for about $800

Unless I buy the combo, I'd like a head that I can carry in a rack bag, but I'm not sure which of these would be the easiest to carry as such. Which would you recommend?

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my stuff maybe??
    i will make a great deal for ya!!!!!
    let me say that agian. *in a big anouncers voice*
    i will make you a sweet deal!!! cheap!! act now!!

got to get some money to pay for a new fretless jazz!!

steve

3. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    my vote goes for the QSC with a preamp. do you already have either of these preamps? a pre/power setup will be way more flexible than an integrated head in the future, should you plan to upgrade again. GAS pains are inevitable. after that, a DB750. if youre set on heads, also look into an ampeg SVT4PRO. also, if youre going to be playing with 2 guitarists running 100 watt rigs, i very highly doubt your GS112 will cut it, and im sure others here will say similar things. so i would think about cabs as well. hope this helps.

4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I'm working on the cabs (my plan is to add a bergantino 1x12 or another Aguilar, then possibly a 2x12 or SWR Henry 8x8 in the distant future.)

I don't have either preamp yet. My current preamp is a yamaha PB-1 but it's been having technical problems lately. Chances are the Kern deal isn't going to work out (too many other potential buyers,) and it would leave me a lot less money for a cabinet if it did, so I'm probably going with the demeter.

No need to suggest any other preamps right now, keep in mind that I've looked long and hard into this and I'm familiar with just about everything else out there.

One thing I've been considering is that I'd like to develop my slap style, but I haven't been able to do so in a band setting because there's just no way to cut through with my current rig.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Which QSC PLX series amp is it? I would also opt for the preamp/poweramp setup.

6. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    PLX 1602 (300w/side at 8 ohms)

7. I agree with the QSC I think. Getting more speakers is going to be the biggest improvement you can make as far as "cutting through" is concerned...if the Yamaha preamp is still functional, i'd say get the QSC and then spend some money on more speakers PRONTO, and then worry about a better preamp later.

John

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I agree with Mr. Prather. Also, I know that you said you didn't need anymore preamp suggestion but there are some that you can get that will do a great job for you until you can get the one that you really want. Then you'll have a decent backup if problems occur after you do upgrade. Just a thought.

I assume that the OSC is used for the $400.00 asking price. I got an E&W power amp brand new for about $286.00 plus shipping on eBay. It's rated at 350 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms, 500 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms and 1000 watts bridged @ 8 ohms. The regular prices that the distributor charges are very competitive as well.