1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me what I need to get!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by p-nut95, Feb 29, 2008.

1. p-nut95

p-nut95

May 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    So heres the deal; I play through a hartke 3500a and an eden 2x12. I am seriously considering adding a 2x10 to this rig. My head won't power both of these, right? Do I need a power amp or jsut a more powerful head:confused: I am quite confused on what I need to get to power these two things together.

2. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    I would recomend more power. You should check out the impedence of the cabs. If they're both 8 ohm cabs, two of them together will create a 4 ohm load. Most bass heads state their wattage at 4 ohms. So, if your Hartke head says it's 350watts....that's what it dishes out in 4 ohms. If you're running one cab (that's a 4 ohm cab), you're giving it 350 watts. If you're running one cab (that's an 8 ohm) you're giving it less....maybe 175 watts -225 watts....depending on how the power supply for your bass head compensates. I use the Peavey Tour 700. It does about 500 watts at 8ohms & 700 watts at 4 ohms. Plenty to power two cabs. There's tons of options. You can get a preamp/ power amp combination.....integrated head.....whatever works. It's always safe to go with more power. It's better to overpower a bas cab than to underpower one. More power than it needs gives it more headroom & allows it to operate far more efficiantly. It's kind of like trying to drive a car 90 miles per hour in second gear.....it might get there, but you're going to put an increadible strain on the components. It's the same thing when you're trying to power, let's say, a 2x12 & 2x10 with 350watts....hope that helps.

3. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    If both cabs are 8 ohms, it'll work, but probably sound better if you're pushing them harder.

4. p-nut95

p-nut95

May 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    thanks guys that helps a lot.

5. p-nut95

p-nut95

May 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    which power amp should I go with?? that is if i do go through with this

6. Is your current cab 4 ohms or 8 ohms? If it's 8 ohms just get another 8 ohm cab and you'll be fine. I used to run the 200 watt hartke model powering my old SWR 8x10 cabinet and it worked fine.

7. p-nut95

p-nut95

May 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    really thats awesome cuz both my amp and cab run only on 8 ohms

8. I just looked up your amp. Right now as you play, you're getting 250 watts to your 8ohm cab. If you add another 8ohm cab you will get the full 350 watts your amp advertises. I can't remember how your amp looks on the back, but just run a speaker cable from the head to your (soon to be) 2x10 and then daisy chain off the 2x10 into the 2x12 you already have. You're head will easily do that.