1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me what some of the 'quintessential' basses are.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dbt25677, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Jun 9, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    What are some of the 'must-have' basses?
    I have a 2001 Mex. Jazz and I was wondering what a good second bass is, for under $600. I don't really care what brand it is. This is my local store and this is probably where I'd buy it:
    http://www.theguitarshop.com.au/basses.html
    Should I get a CV P-Bass or a EBMM Sub Ray4?
    Which one is better value?

2. RxFunk

RxFunk

Dec 2, 2012
    Arizona
    I'd say go for the CV P, both are good values though. However, for $600, you could probably find something a bit better used,JMO.

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Huh…I didn't know Squier made a CV P-bass in Olympic White. Discontinued, perhaps?

Tough call, though. There's a lot of love for both on here, but it's the Classic Vibe I keep hearing about the most. I suppose it comes down to which sound you prefer, Precision or Music Man humbucker.

As far as "the quintessentials" go, a lot of people agree that all your bases (basses?) are covered with a Jazz and Precision. Personally speaking, I'm a fan of P/J configurations, but my tastes are a little off-center, even 'round these parts.

4. I think that's a mistake. Looks like the old VM P bass.

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    So you want to tell us what you like? Dumb question. I own a Honda so tell me what second vehicle I should buy?

But the basic "quintessential" idea has some validity. It's all about your music and what YOU think of what various basses do. For example to main broad classes of "old school" basses are a Jazz and a P-bass. You have the Jazz covered. A jazz and P covers a WIDE range of old school stuff and even some later stuff too, but that doesn't mean your next bass should be a P. That might be too close to a Jazz for what change you are looking for.

Just think of the wide kinds of "quintessential" basses that cover certain music segments. For a "modern" tone a nice Ibanez SR series is the basic classic sound. Worth a look. And of course you already figured out that a Stingray is a very unique niche instrument unlike no other. But the range of music covered by it is much narrower than the othes we mentioned.

And just think for a minute here. Acoustics, hollowbody and semi-hollowbody basses are another who class of basses of yet a different type. Maybe not relevant to your music and yet maybe so. My Carvin AC50 is a Dynamite bass. Fretless is another whole class of basses as is 6 string. So is a fretless 6 string your next bass? Well how would WE know?

Point is it's all up to you. Do want a second bass that is very much like your first so it's a back-up? Like say get a P to go with your J? Or do you need something completely different like a nice active 6 string ESP LTD that you can play jazz on with killer solos and chords? Nobody here can answer that. Only YOU can.

PS. The TB rule is: "You can never own too many basses". :)