1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me what to spend my money on!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfunk47, Sep 11, 2008.

1. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Fortunate circumstances have left me somehow with roughly $1500 in my pocket, despite having bought an 08 Fender jazz only a month ago.

I promised my parents and myself that I'd start a nestegg early so I could retire nice and early, but I have yet to do so :bag:

I'm pretty happy with my amp situation (although it could be a little bit lighter...), so tell me what to buy with all this money!

I like 4 strings and passive, but I'm open minded....:bassist::D;)

2. Start the nestegg.

I've earnt about 3 grand over summer and I can tell you now every fibre in my body is telling me "GET A FRICKIN' STINGRAY ALREADY, THE GASS IT BURNSSS", but I just can't. Gonna put it in an ISA and save it.

Gotta be sensible sometimes, it sucks, I know :( (but its not liek you have a junker bass and crappy rig to endure now is it? ;))

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I looked at the gear you have listed in your profile - that's not much amp power. It's fine if you just jam in the basement or play in your bedroom or perhaps at a very small venue, but if you're gonna be gigging at larger venues you are gonna want MORE POWER. If it were me with the excess $ (which it never is...) I would buy an inexpensive backup bass - like an SX - and spend the vast majority of it on more amp/cab power. IMHO

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    nest egg.
    you have a bass, and an amp.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Nest egg, alternative energy, global population control OR.....

Fender Roscoe Beck 4 :))

6. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    give it to me!!

hahaah

7. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Gruhn in Nashville has a used Jack Casady model, dirt cheap.
    You'll have some left over for ham and hash browns with the rest of your nest egg.

G

8. Well said

Not sure how old you are now, but since you still live at home I'm guessing you are still young. Trust me, save all that you can now because when you move out on your own money will go fast. House payment, car payment, medical insurance, kids ect. Chances are if you move out to another town when you leave home you will need that money to get you started. I had a good savings built up when I moved out at 18 and I would have been in a world of hurt without it. Just my advice.

9. ac11367

ac11367

Apr 26, 2007
    Flushing, NY
    Superfunk, you have a Fender Jazz and a G&L. Like Scottbass said, you should spend your money on an amp and speakers. Get a GK (at least 300W), allow your bass sound to stand out. Nice basses deserve good amplifications, especially you have more money than you need to acquire it.

10. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Don't worry about the nest egg. You've already got good, gig worthy basses so go and get a good, gig worthy amp. Get gig worthy yourself (maybe you are already - who knows) and go a get some gigs in a decent band.

I had an equivalent sum of money burning a hole in my pocket back in the 90's (£650 = $1000 ten years ago) and instead of saving it, as some people were advising, I bought a Trace Elliot SMX 350 watt 2 x 10 combo. Because I now had everything I needed to do semi-pro gigs, I was able to sucessfully audition for a band that (usually) gigged every Friday and Saturday night and paid between £60-100 per gig. So within a year I had made around 10 times what the amp cost me.

Try getting 1000% interest in a savings account - gotta speculate to accumulate

11. uptowndirt

uptowndirt Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    Brother i would get a combo and a cab , a combo for smaller gigs and the add on cab for bigger rooms. as for what to buy, let your bass do the talkin and your ears will let you know.

12. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    R
    R
    S
    P

do it

13. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Fretless jazz. Maybe a Squier VM fretless for ~$280.

I played for around 25 years before I finally decided to try a fretless bass and now I love it. I never would have guessed in a million years just how fun it's turned out to be. The Squier VM passive jazz or the SX fretless jazz are a pretty cheap way to try out fretless and are also a really good basses. Anyway, I wish I had tried the whole world of fretless a lot sooner. That would also leave much $ for savings, etc.

Just my .02.

14. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    08' american standard pbass...

15. Use it to get rid of any debt. If you have no debt, nest egg it. The economy sucks, the future is uncertain, and the sky is certain to fall. Otherwise, I recommend coke and whores.

16. You need an amp, get a Carvin SBR1018 - $1,169.99. I've owned my for 2 yrs. and it's never failed me once. Enough power that I'll ever need for any gig. Most of the time I just use the BX1200 head w/4x10 cab for indoors and then for outdoors I add the 1-18 cab, seriously it kicks ass. Tonal control for days, bro, you can get any sound you want. Worth check'n out.