Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tell me what u think

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by warwickben, Sep 29, 2002.

1. if this isnt the right place for this please move it.

i have been planning to make a eub for some time.i figure i could make it easy if i do it this way.i make the neck, then i bolt it to a metal plate(more on this later). u take a drum stand with a tom holder on it.the tom holder has to be a typ with a joint that u can change the angle of the pipe that the tom mounts to.u weld the plate to the end of the pipe. so when ur standing in back of the bass u can change the angle of the neck(string height) by changing the angle u have the tom holder set at. for the bridge u glue it to a peacie of wood and bolt that wood on to a metal plate.i have a idea to be able to slide the brideg up and down for diffent scale and in and out for action.too hard to explain. ill figure out were to hook the strings in later.

there would be no body just a neck bolted to a plate welded on to a tom holder and a bridge on a peace of wood.

2. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    And what do you want this contraption to sound like?

3. jugband

jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    Do your self a favor... visit http://www.engelhardt-link.com/parts.htm and buy yourself a neck, with a rosewood fingerboard already attached for $305 (or ebony for extra $$$). While you're at it, see if they'll install machine heads for you.

Bob Gollihur also sells Englehardt necks, and can probably get them with fingerboard, also. http://www.gollihur.com

You should also visit http://www.eclecticbass.com/eurb.html and see what Bob ran into in building his own EUB. It may be an eye-opening experience for you.

Also, think about this for an EUB... Get a Cello, replace the neck & bridge with those from a 3/4 bass, and rig a LONG endpin and a piezo pickup, like a K&K Bass Max. You won't get the full acoustic sound of a 3/4 bass, but you will hear it enough for living-room playing with no amplifier, and a piezo pickup on it will give you better sound than you'll get from a piece of metal for a body. Ebay has cheap cellos every day for around $130.

4. i havnt been to his site in awhile.guess i have to go.

5. will a new neck fite.like scale wise.did u make that cello/bass.how good does it sound.if u can how much total.this look like a goo idea

6. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I'm concerned that you're going to wind up with something that will be so clunky that it will discourage you from pursuing DB or EUB. You may actually get closer to the goal even with a $400 EBay Bass-Shaped Object than with the contraption you envision. Plus, the amount of effort you spend contraptifying could be spent practicing instead.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    <sigh> Slabonics.

8. jugband

jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    I'll know more about how it sounds, etc. after I receive it. There's a 3/4 cello on Ebay right now that would be a good starting point, if you were so inclined. I figure that it would cost about $650 in parts, if you bought an Englehardt neck with Rosewood FB & paid $130 for a cello.

One other avenue might be to find a 1/4-size cheapo Chinese bass, stand it high on the endpin, and use it with a pickup. Wouldn't be as small as a CelloBass, and certainly not as small as an EUB, but would be much cheaper and easier... They say that quarter-sizes don't put out a lot of sound, but an EUB doesn't put out ANY. If you only used it amplified, sound from the small body wouldn't matter. A 1/4 bass usually stands 66" tall. A Cello is 48", and a 3/4 bass is 72".

Frankly, I've always wondered if you couldn't just tune a cello to EADG, put it on a tall endpin and start playing bass on it...

Anyway, you can find quarter-size basses on Ebay for about $400, if you wanted an EUB with a body that wide. There are a bunch of them right now for $289 + $200 shipping. They are 3/4, but he also has 1/4 that are probably the same price. He can also give you all the dimensions of a 1/4 bass. Problem with it is the short scale-length, but scale's no shorter than a bass guitar, even on a 1/4.

If you want to go the cellobass route, there's an auction ending in 5 days (search on "cello body") that might be a good starting point. Otherwise, cellos aren't hard to find there. An auction just closed for one ("Aruba Breeze" brand) that was $86 + $69 shipping. That guy sells them all the time for under $100.

9. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    jugband,

it's not just the tuning of a cello that complicates trying to 'play bass' on it for me, but the string thicknesses and tension (and really, action too). i don't know whether or not an unmodified cello body could handle bass strings.

also, i'm initially surprised that you say a 1/4 size bass is only six inches shorter (66" v. 72") than a 3/4 size. without knowing, really, that seems tall to me. is this accurate?

making an eub from a cello or small bass sounds like a really cool idea to me...

sean p

10. Kind of sounds like Phonics, as in someone should try the program.

11. jugband

jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    Actually, that was a typo, and should have been 65". I happen to have just been looking at an Ebay auction where the size was specified, and that's where that particular measurement came from. I have a 3/4 myself, which is right at 6 feet even. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=910233495 is an auction for one that specifies that size.

A full-size bass is typically only 2" taller than a 3/4 bass, though you can't reliably say a bass is one size or another purely on how long/tall it is in the body & neck.

12. jugband

jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    It really does, and in about a month, I'll be able to let you know exactly how PRACTICAL it is. I bought one that's mostly already done, on Ebay a couple of days ago. The guy has a piece of pipe or rod inside it, which is reinforcing the neck, probably so the bass strings don't pull it off. The dovetail where it fits onto the slot on the Cello body is whittled down to about half it's original size.

visit www.jugmusic.com/cellobass.html to see it.

I'll have to see what the scale-length is going to be, after it arrives. I'm hoping that the neck for the 3/4 bass will provide extra LOS. If so, the smaller cello body will make it more EUB-Size than a 1/4 bass.

If scale's no longer than a quarter-size bass, then you could get a small bass with a LONG endpin for less money and little or no trouble, put a BassMax into the bridge, and be done with your EUB.

I figured that it would cost about $650 for the parts on this project, if you didn't pay more than $150 for a cello to start it with. That fully-carved 1/4 bass I got the measurement from is sitting at $799.

You can get laminated Chinese models for around $450 to your doorstep.

13. I don't want to comment on the merits of this kind of a project. However, if anyone is interested in trying to build something like this, I have several old Kay cellos that I would let go real cheap.

Email me if you are interested.
    RBranstetter1@kc.rr.com.

14. The Kay cellos that I mentioned earlier are cello bodies only. They are not playable instruments. No strings, bridge, tailpiece, pegs or endpin are included. Some have the neck attached, some don't. A couple of them have already been stripped so they could be refinished. All have been stored in my attic for 15 to 20 years. Sorry if my earlier post was misleading.

15. jugband

jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    I just came across this on the Engelhardt site. Of course, it applies specifically to their own instruments, and there is variation among makers as to what measurements constitute what size.

1/4 size Bass. Overall length, 62 inches; scale or string length, 35 1/4 inches.

Standard Cellos are 4/4 size. Overall length, 48 1/2 inches; scale or string length, 27 1/2 inches.

16. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Jugman:

a) Will your thang fit into a cello case?

b) What's so bad about moving the bridge back from it's "proper" place to achieve a 41.5" scale? The beef can't be "it doesn't look right" since this is going to look like a chimera no matter what. It can't be "the sound will suffer" since you're aiming at an amplified sound, not Don's Testore.

Will it "hurt the instrument" if the sound post is moved back, too -- and of course, this is Sturdy Laminated Tonewood? Jeff? Bob? Arnold? Is this the new mousetrap?

17. Quite frankly, I have no idea how this thing would turn out. I did some rough calculations and determined that the bridge would have to sit about seven inches from the bottom of the cello table. That means it is sitting very near the end of the bass bar. If it were carved, I would see that as a real problem, but since it is laminated - who knows? Mounting the neck coluld be another problem since the neck block is quite a bit smaller on a cello than on a bass.

I wouldn't try something like this myself, but I will be anxious to see how it turns out. It could be a great way to recycle all of those old broken school cellos that luthiers seem to accumulate.

18. jugband

jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    I'd LOVE to get into the world of hard-shell cases.

My 3/4 bass neck is 10 inches longer than a 4/4 cello neck. I'd say there's not the slightest chance, unless I were to cut the end off and go around with the whole pegbox sticking out. ;)

I'm thinking that a case for a 1/4 bass could be used or adapted. Those basses are 65" tall, and I expect this rig to be about 58" or so.

It will be shorter, and the bouts will be narrower, so building some kind of case out of veneer and aerosol styrofoam might have to be looked-at.

You can get most companies that make canvas awnings for buildings to sew custom amplifier covers, etc. and they might be a resource, or maybe even an auto upholstery shop.

However, gotta get something to carry in it first...:D

19. jugband

jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    Nothing at all. In fact I'm planning on it, if I can, because I'm a little uneasy about it "hurting the instrument" if I don't.

I'd be worried about it caving in the top if I didn't move the soundpost down with it. As you said, un-plugged sound isn't much of a concern.

I want to be able to hear it while jamming with an acoustic guitar or two in my living room, or practicing to recorded music.

Other than that, the acoustic tone or volume won't matter, since it will be plugged in pretty much every time it leaves the house.

I'm planning on using a K&K Bassmax for a pickup, and bridge-wing pickups mostly hear the bridge anyway.

20. I think fitting and setting a soundpost that far down below the f holes is going to be a real SOB. If you do get it set, I would (Hold on to your hats Arnold & Jeff) glue one end of the post in permanently. Actually, keeping the bass bar from popping loose might be the bigger problem.