Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me what you think of our setlist.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey guys, any opinions on my band's set list?

Long Train Running- The Doobie Brothers
    Listen To The Music- The Doobie Brothers
    You Could've Been A Lady - April Wine
    I Saw Her Standing There- Beatles
    With or Without You- U2
    Save Tonight - ??
    Piece of Mind- Boston
    Into The Mystic- Colin James (Van Morrison Cover)
    Crash - Dave Matthews
    #41 - Dave Matthews

Elizabeth's Songs
    It's My Life - No Doubt
    Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac

I can't remember who does Save Tonight haha.
    We're playing Thursday for a grade 8 open house at our school. We play for about an hour in total.
    What do you guys think?

-Mark

2. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    You've got some great tunes in there...do you have an idea of the order?

"Save Tonight" by Eagle Eye Cherry
    "It's My Life" by Talk Talk.

That's more than I could play in 8th grade...best of luck to you! :bassist:

Marshall

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings

Haha thanks, but you misunderstood. Probably my fault.

I'm actually a returning graduate at my highschool. Grade 13, if you will. My band is in highschool as well. We're playing for the grade 8's at the feeder schools. They come, and we put on a little show.

I'll have pics and such up afterwards!

-Mark

EDIT: Missed a part. I have no idea of the order. We're playing half an hour of acoustic stuff, and "soft jazz" as the organizer put it. Then they tour the school, and then we make their ears bleed when they come back!

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Oops...should've checked your birthdate! :rollno:

You're gonna get some teachers dancing to Long Train Running. You'll be embarrased for them, but try to smile anyways. :D

Marshall

6. Scottie

Scottie Banned

Oct 14, 2005
    Sounds good to me!!! Not bad tunes at all.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Looks great, but it could use a little more Doobie Brothers, the best rock and roll band of all time. I've played a few of 'em over the years.

China Grove
    Rocking Down The Highway
    Road Angel (my fave)
    Another Park, Another Sunday
    Take Me In Your Arms

8. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I dunno, if your playing to grade 8's you might need to throw some of that HIP-HOP in there :)

:bag:

9. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Nice list!

Long Train Running- The Doobie Brothers -- my old band used to do this one. Fun song for the bass! :)

You Could've Been A Lady - April Wine -- Ahhh, April Wine. Hon, you have taste! I was mad for them when I was in high school. I still have a button from one of their shows.

Into The Mystic- Colin James (Van Morrison Cover) -- I absolutely love this song. Beautifully written.

Overall, a strong list. I'm sure your audience will have a blast, and you will, too!

Cherie :)

10. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    End with something from Green Day and you'll have a great show.

11. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

now wait a minute... i resemble that remark!

HAVE FUN at the show. the little kids love live stuff imo. i did 2 or 3 7th-8th grade gigs years back, and one time they wanted AUTOgraphs! (oh, we were NOT good either)

have fun.

12. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Set list isn't bad, but may be abit "old" for 8th graders. Maybe some Green Day or Nickleback or something that 8th graders can relate to.
    If you are going to play classic covers, try to make sure they are very well known covers. Not sure bout the familiarity of April Wine. Also, with such a short setlist, you may consider not doing more than one tune by any band. With 12 songs you have 25% of your list dedicated to 2 bands.
    I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Beatles tune.

Just a thought IMHO

13. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I don't want to be mean- but I somewhat agree with Bottom feeder. If this were my band- I would be where you are, and happy with the setlist. But my band's sorta been in the situation before, only the "community" I live in is sorta "gated" off snooty type of people. So I guess this carries off onto the kid's, and they wanted to hear crap, so we sorta sunk down and played some crappy songs for them. (Tnt, Waiting, Minority and 1 more song we didn't like).

We try to not put anymore than 2 songs by the same artist in a setlist, but with Lou Reed and Bob Dylan being such great composers (literally, taking there songs and making them "your own" is SO easy, it's awesome), it's hard to.

I'm sure the show will go great, kid's will love Save Tonight, It's my life, The DMB and The Beatles stuff- they probably won't know the rest, but they'll dig it.

14. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    As a follow up, Mark- Don't be too worried about the list. Most kids are pretty stoked to be seeing a live band and probably not be very critical of the song selections. As long as you guys are looking like you are having fun and put a little extra "uummpph" into your playing, they'll dig it. Just remember to make some eye contact and not look at your neck when you can. It'll all be good.

15. Good looking list, the only thing that would improve it is playing #41 twice.:D .