Tell me what you think of this little ditty.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Guss, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Tell me what you think of this little tune. Please critisize if you feel the need. When I was making this, I had a sneaking suspistion that I was unintentionaly ripping it off. I asked some people and they said they've never heard it, so I think I'm safe.(Anybody ever get that feeling?) If you see an area that needs critisism, then tell me!:)
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    First bassline I ever "wrote", turned out to be Eric Clapton's "Cocaine." Go figure.
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It's definitely not bad. Pretty good actually.

The main thing I would say right now is to really listen to it closely. Work on your technique a little, so that it sounds more even, and flows. The attack is a little choppy, and that takes away from the groove. Make sure you give each note its full value. Work with a metronome can really be valuable here.

But keep up the good stuff.
  4. Thanks Jazzbo! It seems people on this site are just plain too nice sometimes. Their intentions are good, but flattering someone never did them help. I can't improve without some feedback. :)
  5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Good stuff, but like jazzbo said note duration inaccuracies take away from the groove. Work with a metronome on that, and just 'shed it up in general. Your left hand tech seems a bit loose, but not bad at all really.

Good work...
  6. Pretty good, Terry Morse. Having looked at your profile I see that you are 14 or 15, and playing the same bass as me, a Squier P-Bass. That's what mine sounds like.

Out of curiosity, what did you use to record that and upload? I want to do the same thing eventually, but not sure how to do it. I'm sure my Windows XP has something...
  7. Sound recorder.
    go: start menu>programs>accesories>entertainment>sound recorder.
    I have 98', so you may not have the same format. You'll need a 1/8" adapter to plug your bass into. I got mine at Best Buy. They can be found in similar stores I'm sure. Good luck!:)
  8. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Keep up the good work Terry! As Jazzbo has said, work with a metronome or drum machine to improve the rhythm.

Your tune does remind me of the melody of The Stray Cats' 'Stray Cat Strut' - only a bit though!
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Terry, I can't download your song right now because it's 4:02 AM and my girlfriend is sleeping about 3 feet from me. I'm even trying to type quieter than normal. But if you wanna get serious about recording, using the same method you used to record bass, get a multitrack program like Cool Edit Pro 2.0 or N-Track Studio. You have to buy them, or perhaps you can talk to my good friend Mr. Pirate I hear he can get it to you for quite a steal. He has connections with Mr. Kazaa. Use them just like you'd use Soundrecorder, except you can... get this... HAVE MULTIPLE TRACKS! Then you can also lay down a drum track with a drum program of some kind. I usually write midi drums in guitar pro, or I use fruity loops pro. Fruity Loops would be easier. They both cost money though... but if you have connections, you can't go wrong.

I'll try and download your song and give of my brilliant advice when I get a chance. Rock on dude.
  10. Thanks matt!:)
    When you do, please critisize where needed. I can't stress that enough.:)
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I like the bluesy turnaround. But like stated before... slight timing issues, a little sloppy. But good idea... I'm tellin ya man, adding some drums to that, maybe some guitar, keyboard, vibraslap, vocals, and you got yourself a song.
  12. Thanks guys!:)
    I've never realized before that I had timing issues.
    Thats probably the most embarassing problem a musician can have, but I'll get over it, and when I do, I'll get a metranome. Thanks.:) .....:oops:
  13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    that's what teachers are for... go get one :)
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh yeah, needs more cowbell.
  15. I have one. But my timing isn't a problem on pre-written music. Just my own. I think a met. will solve the problem.:)
  16. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    hey, where do you plug in the adapter on the computer ?
  17. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    So Terry, keep practicing the song, and repost it for us, for comparison.
  18. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Baby, I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more cowbell.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

What you do is you go to radio shack and buy a chord that converts your normal sized cable end to one the size of your computer microphone plug in. Then click em together and plug into where you would plug in your computer microphone.
  20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    And For the technically LEET amongst us....thats
    1/4 inch -> 1/8 inch converter that you want.

1/4 inch= guitar cord type
    1/8 inch= headphone type(most headphones tend to have 1/4)

make sure to get a Stereo converter I've seen mono converters and I almost bought one by mistake before.