Tell me what you think

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thumb, Jun 10, 2005.

1. thumb

Nov 16, 2004
    I feal the best setup a bass can have, is 5 strings 21 frets
    ( I'v been told that 21 frets is the gratest for slap )

The E would be a D
    The A Would be a G
    ...... c
    ...... F
    ...... Ab or A.. not shure

That way, you could reach Those low D's and sound like Tony on Red rain
    be able to solo like alain Caron if you wish, and all this on a 5 stinger.
    ( easyer on the hands, i think you would agree )

I feal it is more apriate for the music of today, at least if you gig a lot, and if you do,
    well you probably do POP like most of us have to do.

I dont have anything against a low B, I personaly LOVE Hearth Shaking Lows here
    and there, But it's frequency is just to Low for most situations,

Those Of you ho did Studio like i did, Kow's That evry time you hit THE big B,
    The produser or the ones involved, Start thinking
    ( Mmmmm That was nice,,,but was it necesary, It felt more like a special effect than a
    actual note) You might have to inform him that this is going to be taken care of in the final
    mix, and it will but you usualy sound more fluid if you dont go past D.

It realy is just fine tuning. And Taste were to much is no better. and when you need the B
    you could just tune in B.

The problem is, i coul tune my bass this way but the srtings i know, are not made for that
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    There is no greatest amount of frets for slapping...

But other than that, yeah I like the stringing. I tune my 5 string sometimes like (lowest to highest):

To play stuff like Sad But True.
  3. I had been playing 24 fret basses for awhile when I happened upon a 22 fret passive Fender J-5. Huge improvement in 'slappability-ness', for me. It is my official slap bass(I don't have a 4 anymore). I think the fact that my right hand can go further toward the nut end of the neck has a lot to do with it. I had a 20 fret P-bass, & it was even better.