Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me what you think... ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Jul 27, 2005.

1. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm almost done with my band's website. The main part of the site is all in Flash... I guess you could say I'm pretty proud of it. It's not complete just yet, and a couple links don't work... but tell me what you think of it so far!

http://www.slowburnmusic.net

Oh, and the recordings aren't really done yet, either, so don't be too harsh! :eek: :D

(Not sure where I should have posted this, so it's both in Off-Topic and Miscellaneous)

2. Very nice. Like the music too.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    the thing about flash...and without even looking at it because I'm on dial up...you imediatly exclude anyone on dialup from your potential viewer base. it's way to slow to load. Speed is everything in website development. You start losing viewers in 15 seconds.70% of America is still on dial up. Thats a lot of people to exclude.

Your front page loaded for me in about 22 seconds.
    the enter screen took...2 friggan minutes.

The worst thing was that after I watched the percent loaded ticker for a minute and a half..once it said 100%..I had a black screen for another 30 seconds.

4. To get around this, you could build a flash page (high speed) and an HTML page (for 56ker's) like Deanguitars.com...

Provide a choice to suit their Internet speed.

5. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Strange... the first page is strictly HTML and is about 4KB. That would mean your connection was running at 0.18 KB/sec... maybe it was just a bad connection. :confused: Sounds like you're saying Flash is a waste of time...

Also, this: http://www.techspot.com/story12532.html was as of 2004. I'm not excluding as many people as you might think... :) If broadband is available is your area, try to get it! You don't know what you're missing, man. :p

6. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ

Yeah, I may include links to the old site for those with 56K modems.

7. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    nice...
    looks very chicago, sorta bluesy
    cool colors

8. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    nice site. Very professional looking, but not too cluttered. I wouldn't change a thing

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You're right..I just checked new statistics. You're only excluding 54% of users right now. I'm hooked up at 50.6 right now and modem tweaked for throughput.

I just got your front page in 14 seconds. Which is fine. From there however, it IS a waste of time. The site is slick as heck and looks good for sure...real clean... but...if you want modem slugs to see it...you really need a parallel low speed site.

I just don't love the internet $60 a month worth... which is what big pipes start at around here.

10. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I probably will make an HTML site that looks almost the same. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

Thanks for the comments, guys!