Tell me which envelope filter to get. Price not important.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kakulash, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Kakulash

Jun 18, 2004
    I've heard good things about the Q-tron (not the mini), the Mutron 3, and the EMMA discumBOBulator. Can anyone help me narrow it down from here?

My DOD FX25 was cheap, but it really blows. Terrible at picking up low end, noisy, cuts volume in half. Just awful.

I'm looking for the best one possible, so it doesn't matter how much it costs.
  2. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    the Digitech Bass Synth Wah is quite good, IMHO.
  3. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    The EBS BassIQ, MXR Bass Auto Q, Lovetone Meatball, Maxon AF-9 are all supposedly good pedals you might wanna try. Out of them I've only tried the Bass Auto Q, and it's still on my board.

I also have the Q-tron which I like, I find it better than the Mu-Tron III Re-issue, just did a direct comparison. I also have the FX25 which I think is a very cool little filter, though I can understand why some wouldn't like it.
  4. Kakulash

Jun 18, 2004
    better than the 3 mentioned above? in what way
    (referring to the Digitech Bass Synth)
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Try the EBS Bass IQ. It is very organic in that it isn't over the top and its effect isn't "in your face". It really provides a smooth, analog tone.

I have this pedal as well as the Bass Synth Wah, which I also recommend, though it's a different animal entirely. It's also a bit of a Swiss Army Knife in that you can dial in octave, wah and synth tones. It is not nearly as organic sounding as the Bass IQ - much more digital wah tone - but it sounds great.

I used to own a Mini Q, but I'd buy the EBS or the Digitech in a heartbeat over the Mini Q. The Mini Q was a fine wah and it served me well for quite some time, but its volume spike was more than i could handle.
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    All the folks who bought the $500 Meatball say it's the best there is. :smug:
  7. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
  8. skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    definitely EMMA!
  9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I haven't tried every envelope filter out there, but I really like my Emma DiscumBOBulator. It also helps that my name is Bob. But really, it got a great review from Bass Player about one or two years ago. I tried it and liked it.
  10. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    tried the EMMA, no good! looses too much bass. go with the maxon AF-9 auto filter, true bybass, hand made, i looked inside and all the resisters/ caps etc are top notch quality. and it sounds very very thick, like a mutron.
  11. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Money No-Object
    Original Mutron III
    Moog LowPass Filter

Realistically (If your not Toasted and plan to own all 3 of the above ;))
    MXR Bass Auto Q - My personal Fav
    Dod fx25 - Interesting and unique you either love it or hate it
    Guyatone BR-2 - Another interesting one, a little easy to overdrive though
    EHX Q-tron - I hated ever one I tried plus, normal, or mini they all seemed crap but that could just be me.
    Maxon or Ibanez AF-9 - Never tried one but believe they are very very good
    EMMA Discumbobulator - Didn't like it, came really close to being a great filter but didn't quite hit the mark
    EBS Bass IQ - Good lots of modes, very middle of the road though it does everything ok but nothing great
    Line 6 FM4 - Big, annoying to power, great synths, not that impressed with the filters
    Xotic Robotalk Bass - Amazing filters, one of the best I've heard but very expensive and if you don't use the sample and hold feature it becomes a waste of money
    Pigtronix EP-1 - Very good, difficult to control the trigger of the filter and can be a bit unwieldy at times, again difficult to power and if you don't use the phaser it becomes a very big and expensive filter.

There are other filters but we won't go into those just yet.

Hope this helps
  12. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    Looks like when talking about filters, people recomend filter, which sounds as close as possible to original Mutron. Then instead of that, best recommendation have to be original Mutron. Am I right?

P.S. As I understand Maxon is copy of Ibanez filter? How good is Ibanez then?
  13. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    It's personaly taste at the end of the day, I'm yet to try out a Original Mutron I will soon though, but already due to size and power requirements and other aspects I know I will prefer my MXR Bass Auto Q overall. There are more than just sounds that you have to take into considerations when purchasing pedals.
  14. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    I think you are right, I'm trying to choose filter for about a mounth reading reviews, but still can't make a decision. If I could try most of them myself, I would never ask anyone else for advice.
  15. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Hey don't worry about it I've tried most of them out and I still ask for advice :p :D
  16. I've tried the Q-tron, Q-tron +, mini Q, MXR Bass Auto Q, DOD fx25, EBS Bass IQ, EHX Bass Balls, Digitech Bass Synth Wah, and one or two others. My favourite was by far the EBS Bass IQ. Nothing else I tried held as much low end while still sounding smooth and liquidy.

I've heard good things about the EMMA and the 00Funk, but I've been unable to try them.
  17. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    I like the versatility of it, and it's relatively cheap-- hundreds of dollars for a meatball versus $70-80 for a BSW.... I don't use all of the 7 modes, but it certainly covers many of the basses and does the fx-25b's laswell sub-dub thing very well.
  18. kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Couldn't get on with my Q tron until I used it in a loop on a Boss Line selector. Problem solved, no loss of bottom end anymore.

This could work on a variety of envelope filters.
  19. mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Pigtronix EP-1 is best I've tried out of DOD Fx25b and EMMA. I have not tried the Meatball, but I have heard people use it and it is definitely one of the most disgusting (good) effects ever made.
  20. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    I did another envelope filter investigation in the internet today and look what I figured out:
    Agent 00Funk – Sound samples of bass guitar only, too much effect to my taste (too much water).
    EBS Bass IQ – Sound samples – bass guitar only, sounds very smooth
    Maxon Af-9 – Sound samples – bass guitar only, sounds ok.
    Pigtronix – Sound samples, Bass guitar in the mix, sounds ok, but kinda muddy. Also there is a demo video on the web site. Looks like this pedal is more for guitar then for bass.
    Q-tron – Sound samples - Bass guitar in the mix, great sound, at least samples are very good
    Moogerfooger M-101 and Emma –no samples and no idea.

Still I need advice from someone who have those pedals to find out things like: are those pedals
    1) True bypass
    2) With any volume boost/cut
    3) With any low freq. boost/cut

I’am going to use envelope filter with my Spector NS200Q5 and custom mad fretless JB and I’d like to get real funky sound. My budget is about 200 American presidents.