1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me why I should buy a Looper...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jughead6, Mar 27, 2015.

1. I have space on my pedalboard for one more pedal.... unless I get a bigger pedalboard, of course ;)

I have never used a looper before, and have been interested to try one. I can see that it could be kinda fun for home use, just messing around. But I'm interested to hear from seasoned long-term looper users.

Without getting into product-specific details, why would I want to include a looper on my pedalboard? How often and what do you guys use your looper for?

2. Ive had a few. Basically to make a long story short I probably wouldnt put a dedicated looper on my board unless i did a solo bass project. I see them more as a practing and writing tool. But there are other loopers that have more than one roll. For example some delays have a looper. Some loopers have expandable memory using memory cards that can be used as foot controlled samplers.

7dollarbologna likes this.
  3. AciDBatH666

AciDBatH666

Feb 13, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    For playing with my band, no use. For writing licks and coming up with something my guitarists can play like an octave of my riff, it's great.

Adamixoye likes this.
  4. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    Mine has been quite useful for playing prerecorded samples of sound effects and keyboard fills.

fclefgeoff likes this.
  5. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Because they're fun. Because they're fun. Because they're fun. Because they're fun.

6. Yeah, that was my initial attraction. I can see why a looper would be a lot of fun.

So, I'm getting the idea there are few practical uses but they're good for messing around and solo recording.

I might try a TC Ditto and see how it goes.

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Other things people use a looper for ...
    - Play a loop during soundcheck so you can go and listen in the room
    - Use a loop when recording a demo of effects pedals
    - Play a loop while you explore settings on your pedals or amp

I have the smaller Ditto, used mainly for fun at home. I have no use for it live.

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    If you ever have a need to make noise or build up some ambient wash, they're awesome. Some can also get you close to resample sounds (especially if they have a one shot mode). IMO if you don't know what you're going to use it for, get one that is more fun-oriented and has less features for correcting timing, etc (though you can get awesome digital artifacts from this). I liked Juan Alderete's Hotone Wally demo - super tiny, plus the speed knob is something I've always wanted on a looper.

A looper will demonstrate exactly how poor your timing and rhythm are. They are invaluable practice tools.

Argassab likes this.
  9. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Both of these. I have a Pigtronix Infinity Looper, which is a overkill in some ways but not for others. I have never used it live. But at home, it works BEAUTIFULLY with my Beat Buddy (MIDI Sync and all of that). Great for solo jamming. My board is kind of a band unto itself with these two pedals.

10. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    By all means get one, for all the reasons mentioned above. Great practice tool and also great fun. But don't use your limited, valuable pedalboard space for it. Leave it at home in your practice space, where you'll be using it, and get something else more band-friendly for your board.

11. Coz....you want one to play with....

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Because it's cool
    Because it's cool and unique
    Because it's cool and unique and creative.
    Because it's cool and unique and creative and so much fun.

gsquare and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  13. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    Because Akai Headrush E2 pedals are around $65 brand new right now, you don't have to look far. Cheap way to try out a looper that is also a decent delay pedal.

There are better ones on the market for sure, maybe someone else knows of a great deal out there too

14. jeffbassguy

jeffbassguy "Less is more, unless the guitarist sucks"

Feb 4, 2001
    connecticut
    i use mine specifically for practicing solos in various keys and through songs with complex changes..it is by far the best practice tool for that i have found

steelbed45 likes this.
  15. squirefan

squirefan

Nov 22, 2009
    Lansing, Ks.
    Because you can't loop without one!:smug:

Adamixoye likes this.
  16. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    I have the original small TC Ditto ... it's cool to fiddle with ... fun for practice ... I was thinking of trying to use the looper for some Audio demos to share ..!!?? then the exact same phrase would repeat which seems good for showing how various effects/pedals might work ..?!

my TC Flashback has a Looper setting ... but it is not setting on the floor ,..!! a must with a Looper to turn it on/off at the right times ...

17. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    +1, on the other end of the scale - I just now decided to explore soloing, the ditto is excellent for learning how to roll over simple chord changes.

18. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    I could see using it in a trio situation, maybe.

19. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    The Ditto Looper is fun, and it doesn't take up too much room. The Ditto Looper is fun, and it doesn't take up too much room. The Ditto Looper is fun, and it doesn't take up too much room. The Ditto Looper is fun, and it doesn't take up too much room. The Ditto Looper is fun, and it doesn't take up too much room. The Ditto Looper is fun, and it doesn't take up too much room. The Ditto Looper is fun, and it doesn't take up too much room. The Ditto Looper is fun, and it doesn't take up too much room. The Ditto Looper is fun, and it doesn't take up too much room.

(sorry I couldn't resist). :)

jasonmitsch likes this.
  20. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Unfortunately what I get a lot of the time is:

The Ditto Looper is fun, and it doesn't take up too mThe Ditto Looper is fun, and it doesn't take up too mThe Ditto Looper is fun, and it doesn't take up too mThe Ditto Looper is fun, and it doesn't take up too mThe Ditto Looper is fun, and it doesn't take up too m

:)