Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me why I shouldn't buy a Dean Edge Q6 (or why I should if that suits you better)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steamboat, Aug 20, 2000.

1. I've been playing for about nine months now, and as I develop more and more as a player and I find my own unique style, I've found that I'm moving towards an approach to the bass that a 6 string would fit very nicely. (but enough of that..I want to find out about Dean basses..not the merits of a 4 vs a 5 vs a 6 vs a 7 string doubleneck ;) )

A while back I walked into my local music store and saw a Dean Edge Q4 and a Q5. I picked up the 4 and dinked around a bit on it, solely on the basis that I thought it was cool looking. I wasn't in the market for a new bass then, I think I was just there to get a new set of strings. I loved the feel of it and the acoustic tone was fine, but I really didn't get a good idea of the tone because I didn't plug it in (I may slap, I may hang around music stores a bit, and I may be a teenager, but I don't meet the stereotype of the guys that slap pointlessly fast in music stores at annoyingly high volumes.. unless I'm seriously interested in the bass I usually won't even plug in, and then it's at quiet volumes using an amp similar to mine.. unless of course I want to try out an amp :p). I didn't pick up the 5 because at that time I didn't forsee myself ever playing more than 4 strings.

Just last Thursday I walked into a music store in Madison (I'm going to UW-Madison this year.. might as well check out stores now) and saw another Q4. I picked it up and played with it a bit, again unamped. It played even better than I thought it would, and it sparked my interest in Dean basses.

I found the Q6 for about $560 in the new Musician's Friend, which seems like a good deal to me. The only issue that I can think of is that I won't like the feel of the low B. I intend to check that out tomorrow by playing the Q5 at my local store, if it's still there. I would assume that if any Q5 and Q6 off the line had decent setups, the low B string should feel and sound pretty much the same on both basses. (oh yea.. I'll actually amplify the thing tomorrow..forgot about that)

And now to my question (finally :p), is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the Q6? Any cases for the Q6 are welcome too, as well as experiences and thoughts about Dean as a company or any Dean bass.

[Edited by steamboat on 08-20-2000 at 09:24 PM]

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey if you're gonna buy one don't buy it from MF since the feel of the bass varies in between the same model, like 2 4s won't neccesarily feel the same. Try to find the Q6 @ a local store so you can buy the one you try. That's all

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you're going to buy a Dean bass, I would not buy mail-order. Definitely try before you buy. I've played quite a few Deans in a local music store, and their playability is very inconsistant (it may just be inconsistant set-up?). If you find one that plays up to your standards, I think a Dean bass is a lot of bang-for-the-buck. Good luck :)

4. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Buy it quick & don't look back. Mail order is fine for quality instruments.

DO IT NOW!

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would definitely disagree with this and would never buy something as personal as a bass without trying it first. You can never know whether an instrument will suit you without trying. There are so many things that need to be taken into account and there can be great variety in the quality of basses from production runs. There are some great Fender MIM basses out there - no doubt as people here have mentioned theirs are really good - but every one I've tried in a shop in the UK has had some sort of problem that has meant I wouldn't want to own it.

6 string necks vary enormously and I have tried a huge number that I just couldn't get on with at all, for one reason or another - out of 40 say, no two will be exactly the same in terms of width at nut and bridge, thickness front to back, curvature, shape, fingerboard radius etc.

6. since my experience with 6 strings is pretty much zippo, trying before I buy seems like pretty good advice

I bought my Peavey Fury and Crate BX-15 off of ebay, and later bought my Ampeg BA-115 from BassNW..but I imagine that the luck I've had so far is not typical of buying sight unseen.

7. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Trying stuff out is fine but I live in Alaska and there is nothing to try out here.

I do all my business through mail order and have had 100% satisfaction.

The key, I think, is sticking to known quality.

Didn't he say he had already played one, that should be good enough.

I think the Dean is about the best axe you can get for the money, go for it.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Didn't he say he had already played one, that should be good enough.

sorry to contradict you nanook. But from my own experience [a good one] with Dean Basses the feel varies between basses of the same model e.g. 2 Q4s. If you do order mail order remember that you can always send back until you get one that feels good. that's all

9. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I have a Dean Edge Q4 and have had very few problems with it. Actually I'd say I've no problems with it that couldn't be adjusted. Before I settled on the 4 I tried two fives. One was great, the other was less than great. It so happens the great 5 was from the same shop as the great 4 I bought. I'd say try it before you buy it. It could be factory inconsistency, or just inconsistent setups. But definitely try it first. Good luck. Dean's are a GREAT bang for the buck.

Dirk

10. The Q5 really didn't do anything for me.. maybe the Fender BXR100 that I was playing through (no offense to anyone that owns and or likes them.. but it sounded like a flabby piece of trash no matter how I EQ'd it..it was the only amp with specs resembling my Ampeg BA-115 in the shop) and the 12 year old guitarist struggling through Daytripper for a while at high volumes were just putting out bad vibes.

I guess I'll just go with the flow for a while until I find a bass that calls me, and doesn't bust my wallet. Putting together a Warmoth Gecko would be really fun..and with the options it has it _seems_ like I could put together the perfect bass for me, at a decent price.....but not being able to play it before I buy it unsettles me a bit.

There's always the possibility that maybe I won't like the neck, maybe the combination of woods I select won't give me the sound I want, maybe the pickups I select won't do it for me.

11. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I still say mail order is fine. If you are ordering a cheap instrument you might be in trouble but the chances of getting a bad Dean are slim.

I will admit it is worth a few bucks more (not many)if you can go in and get the feel of whatever you want before you buy.

You can bet the reputable mail order stores will do what ever is needed to make you happy, otherwise they wouldn't be in business long.