Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tell me why i shouldn't get an Eden WT800B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by taviswardlaw, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Ok, so i'm a young player who's struggling for cash but i've got my mind set on eden. I'm looking to save up and get an eden amp (probably a WT 800B) to really make my set up a quality one. I love the sound of eden heads and think one could really complement my Stingray 5'er, and I know how reliable they are (I can't afford an amp that needs repair every few months). I'd definately go second hand (Unless you go custom, is there any reason not to?). So, why shouldn't I get an Eden, or rather... what should I get instead?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think a 800b would be a good choice. MAKE SURE its the "B" not the "8ohms only" for bridged output.

I think the 800b would be especially cool if you plan on having different types/size/sensitivity/ohm rated type cabs as they might require different signal volumes at inputs rather than just 450/450 etc. this is why people sometimes need two channel amps or stereo amps.

BTW great first serious choice for a head. :hyper: I'm jealeous (I'm still waiting to finance my wt300 purchase, see sig)

EDIT: sorry, I ethically cannot tell you not to get the WT-800B.

Edit 2: BTW, I think aguilar gs112, probably other aguilars sound great with eden hybrid heads!!!!

3. I just want to say, first, "Do it!" This is the wrong forum if you're looking to be talked out of an Eden purchase. Second, Eden heads and Aguilar cabs sound awesome together. I am really just repeating Mr. Dynamite, nothing to add.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The WT-800B is a great choice because it could be the last amp you ever buy. You know what my buddies over at ProSoundWeb say, "Buy once, cry once." Squeeze out the bucks now, and you won't be selling it at a loss to buy the next step up, because there arguably isn't a step up from this amp (but some will argue).

Oh, wait ... I thought you said, "Tell me why I shouldn't not get a WT-800."

5. yeah that was the point, same reason i bought the Stingray I was struggling to afford, coz I doubt i'll ever sell it, and if i do, it wont be for a long long time. :)

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Ya know, I used to think Munji was full of it when he would talk Eden up years ago. I thought my Ampeg with the only amp one would ever want/need.

Then I reached the age of reason.

Needless to say, I am working on putting together my own Eden rig in the very near future (WT-800b/410XLT). After playing through an Eden rig in a live setting a couple of times, I feel I must have one now.

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    maybe I'm halfway to the age of reason...I love the hybrid amps, but not sold on cabs....yet. :meh:

8. It's a wonderful amp.... and amazing for the cost, since you can get Eden gear at large discounts. I've seen new 800(b)'s going for aourn $1,300... that's A LOT of amp for $1,300. For my needs (and my very efficient cabs), I find smaller amps like the TF550 and WT550 to provide more power than I need, so I prefer those. However, if you want a very big wump in a relatively small and lowcost package.... the 800 (b) is hard to beat. And, it sounds very good IMO with a variety of cabs. Very nice.

9. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I was going to buy a WT800 to power my 410xlt.
    Then I tried Markbass and bought a complete lightweight rig for the same price as the Eden head.

And I can hear myself on stage now :)

Well you wanted another opinion......

10. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    remember the original poster is from Australia; so multiply US prices by 10.

I don't want to go against the flow; but maybe a wt-550 is a better option here. Its much more affordable and has PLENTY of power. you could always get a power amp later on when you need more than the 750W the wt-550 can muster.

11. Ooops.... I didn't realize that... that kind of changes the 'value' thing.... sorry for not catching that.

I know Thunderfunk is distributed down there, and Dave has recently introduced an upgraded 550 that sounds like it will be great. Are Thunderfunk prices through the roof in Australia also?

Ken

12. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    No; surprisingly. the TFB-550 retails for $2000AUD and the wt-550 retails for $2500AUD. So your point of value has actually been greatly validated by the pricing. i don't even want to think what the 800B would retail for here.

I have absolutely no idea why the thunderfunk is so affordable(considering its a highly sought after amp); but it actually might be a good idea for the original poster to consider the TFB-550 from greensquare music.

13. +1 I've AB'd the Thunderfunk (original 550) with the Eden WT550 and they are relatively close. However, the TF to me has the edge. The TF is a few hundred dollars more in the US, which tilts some players toward the WT550 (a very nice amp). However, if the Thunderfunk is LESS than the WT550 in Australia.... man... I hope he at least tries one... they are great, 5 pounds lighter than the Eden, and a smaller footprint. If he can run into a 4ohm cab there's plenty of power IMO.

Ken

14. If you want somebody to talk you out of an Eden, I'll give it a shot. I had the best Eden set-up. Navigator, WT-1000 power amp, 210XLT cabs, the whole shot. The first time I played through a Euphonic Audio rig, I rushed home and started selling my Eden rig without a second thought. The EA is just a much higher quality sounding rig. People talk about its transparency, but it has a really well voiced EQ section that can do about anything you want. If you like the sound of your stingray, you will LOVE it through an EA!

You wanted us to talk you out of it. I thought the best way was to tell you how I was "talked" out of my Eden rig!

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Three things:
    1) The wt800b is a great amp. I own one and use it lots. I find no fault with it, and several great assets. You can run bridged, or stereo, good crossover if you want to seperate your lows from highs. Or just be able to run two cabs and blend volume. Big phat tone, great EQ section.
    2) You don't have to pay Austrailian Prices: search ebay US, look for warpdrivemusic as the seller, you'll find a great deal
    3) The thunderfunk is an equally great amp. It may be "only 550 watts," but you will percieve it as having similar power. Perhaps a better eq (tho that's kind of a personal taste thing). I use my TFB more, but mostly because it's lighter-and I don't need to drive two cabs often (really ever with schroeders)...But, the TFB cannot drive two cabs at once, and is only one channel. No stereo, no crossover, you can't drive two 4 ohm cabs with it. That may be a limitation you can't live with.

I've got nothing negative to say about the wt800b. Nice choice.

16. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    get a wt1205 instead ;) Eden WT-1205 i've actually fallen very hard for the eden sound as of late- i like the lack of fiddling you have to do with the eq to make it sound good (really good). I'd always liked the sound by itself but never played it with a group, but now having done so i like it even more... i will agree with munji that you'll really enjoy your eden amp (and i will agree with the posters about the wt-550- it's a LOUD little amp)... and for the record, i have not played through or heard (except on basstasters.com) the thunderfunk :bassist:

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The Eden rig that I got to play through in a live setting was a Roadrunner head through a 410 XLT cabinet, owned by a bass player in a local band here. I was asked to get on stage with them for the fun of it on 2 different occasions, playing his Peavey Cirrus 5 (a bass I am very familiar with). The sound coming out of that setup was great--it was the sound that has been in my head for years, but one that I have only come close to with my Ampeg rig, but never nailed.

When I looked at how he had it EQ'd, most everything was set flat. If a bass rig can get the sound I am after that easily with little or no EQ'ing, I am sold on it.

So, hopefully soon I will have my own Eden rig. Then I'll be set (for awhile, anyway).

18. I'll tell you why Tavis, because I wanna get one first!! BTW, great gig the other night, you did some tasty chordal work during your solo!

19. thanks bro! couldn't help myself but take it to the minor and go all bluesy on it!

20. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Sorry to derail...but since all of the Eden owners are in this thread, I have a very subjective question.

What is the Eden sound? Good for progessive hard rock/metal with a bluesy edge???