Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me why not?...home stereo cab w/ bass guitar driver?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, May 15, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    why wouldnt this work?

buy a used home stereo speaker tower/cab that has the correct dimensions and swap the driver for a given bass guitar driver bought oline.

i am thinking of getting a second cab, but i am pretty broke.

i know this idea is pretty unlikely to work, but i would like to know why. people build their own cabs right? so if i just bought one pre-made with the correct dimensions it would bealot cheaper

also, i am curious to know if there is an online retailer who sells empty cabs.

please forgive me if this idea is completely insane :ninja:

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Because you could probably get an Avatar 210 cheaper? ;)

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Yep, Avatar does. I suspect many of them would if you asked.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Because it will sound like utter 5#1T.

Car audio speaker boxes don't reproduce the same range of tone. If you like the sound of bass through a pile fuzzy blankets...no definition, no punch, no dynamic then you should definitely do it.

Buy the Avatar if you want to go on the cheap.

5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Will you get sound? Yes, Sound great, maybe but doubtful. Of course didn't the JBL D130"F" strt out as something other than a a musical instrument speaker?

Will a home stereo cab hold up like a MI cab? HECK NO!

Match the cab to the speaker not the otherway around.

That having been said, I have seen and heard some pretty odd ball things work ell enough for a given sittuation.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

6. maybe you could make a decent cab from a good set of electrostatic speakers and on old Klipshhorn.

i think you should just go for dr. bass or avatar or something used.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    For all you'd go though trying to get an enclosure and driver combination that would work (and they won't) why not just buy a used bass cab?

8. None of the home stereo cabs I've seen are constructed with 3/4 inch wood. They are usually much thinner and would lead to problems with cab resonance and would likely fall apart after a few trips to the gig.

Yes it could be done but there is no free lunch here,

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    yeah, just thought it was a possibility. but i definitely want a decent sound and it sounds like a lot of hassle to try to make the home stereo cab work (if it ever does) when i could buy a proper cab used for close to the price of a new, good quality driver.

i was just curious why it wouldnt work.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Because speakers designed for full range use playing back recorded media are designed with completely different specifications than those for electric bass and they are not interchangable.