1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell me your “almost got an unique bass for cheap” story.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jorgemele894, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Today I spotted an unbelievable deal, a Rickenbacker 4002 in great shape for $600.00 :eek: in Puerto Rico classifieds. I called the seller immediately, the guy answers the phone and tells me that he just sold the bass like an hour ago… needless to say I am frustrated and heart broke :bawl::(:bawl:. Please help me feel better telling me your “almost got an unique (or expensive) bass for cheap” story.

2. Gibson EB-1 reissue for $100.00 back around 1983-84. Had the proverbial Gibson cracked headstock, no bridge. Would have been well worth the repair, but $100.00 was just about what I had to live on for that week.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I am only 38 but when I was a teenager almost all used pre-RB Stingrays, 70's Fenders and 70's RICs were everywhere (pawn shops and music stores) for $350-500.

I bought a used 70's Gibson G3 for $300 at a pawn shop in the mid 80's and that was pretty average.

Ones that I almost bought? All of the ones I saw on the wall and didn't buy!

4. I almost got a 4003 ric in '02 for $700 brand new when I worked at a guitar store. Sadly I didn't have the funds.

5. About 10 years or so ago I had a chance to buy an Alembic explorer shaped bass in beautiful figured maple for $300. I had the money but my (ex) significant other threw a fit so I passed it up. In retrospect, I should have traded her and $300 for the bass.

6. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Ok, mine is about one that slipped away and one that I got.

First the one that slipped away.

Some guy on Craigslist in South Jersey advertised a Warmoth Gecko 5 string fretless for $600 (Bartolini soap bar pickups...not sure what kind of wood) earlier in January. I called him up and he was really shady, telling me the bass was at the school he teaches at, etc. I call him again the next day telling him I am willing to drive from Philly (2 hours away) with cash and if I liked it I would buy it on the spot. He says he can't get into the music school because his boss is out of town. I call him a day later and he said someone came and picked up the bass already. Bummer

Fast forward 3 days later....another craigslist ad for a 96 Pedulla Raputre J-2 5 String fretless for $800!!!! The neck was in desperate need of an adjustment, needed new strings, etc. So I talked him down to $700!!!!!! Best part of the story....I had $500 burning a hole in my wallet from X-mas....so the bass cost me $200 out of pocket. Not a bad find for a bass that retails for over $3000!!!!!

7. hublocker

hublocker

May 17, 2007
    I was offered a 1960s P-Bass in 1976 for $350.

Don't know if it was pre CBS or not. Wife was pregnant, we were saving money for a house. Didn't buy it .

$350 was a lot more money then than it is now too.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

And $350 invested in mutual funds for 32 years is quite a bit of $$$ too!

9. Arandaz

Arandaz

Jan 16, 2008
    1979 P Bass for $900. I'm not sure if this is the normal price for something like this, but it was one of the best basses I've ever played, I still kick myself today for letting it slip up.

10. Weimhunter

Weimhunter

Mar 2, 2007
    Mississippi
    The only one ever made me sick at my stomach was a guitar. A all orig. 1 owner 1959 ES335 Gibson 20 minutes from my house for 2900 bucks. This was last year in a local free adds paper. Missed it by 2 hours. :crying:

11. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Fender & Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    Wal Mach 1 in artic white back in 2003.

BassNW had it for sale for around $2000 :( . Seemed like alot for me to shell out on a single bass then. Now it'd be worth twice that if you could even find one :bawl: . I soooo wish I'd picked that up. It was the one that got away.

Actually found it again in a shop online for $5000 recently :eek:. Way beyond my means yet again.....

12. Thanks for your replies guys, interesting stories!!!!!!!

13. Yeah; the pain, the suffering the remorse…

14. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    In the 70s I nearly scored a '56 Les Paul for $700. Not a bass, but I wish I'd been able to come up with the cash.

15. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    when I was about 9, my dad took me to his friends house, a famoous bass player to pick/buy a bass... he wanted to sell my dad his early 60's Framus H/B because it had a nice thin neck which woulda been great for me... I didn't want it cos I wanted a P... we all then went shopping for a bass and the owner brings a whole bunch... an EB3, an Aria EB3 copy, Dan Armstrong, from what I remember it was all a bunch of cool old short scale basses (perfect for a kid)... but no I wanted a P... so my dad got me a nice MIJ P bass copy that was great to me for years... but I wish I'd have given that Framus a go...

16. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Not rare, but I almost scored a Warwick Thumb 4 with a Wenge neck for 250 at a pawn shop. She said it was just sitting in the back for a while.

As I whipped out the cash the owner walked in and saw the selling price and said he wanted to check Ebay first.

Well, we know how that went :meh:

17. Inflin

Inflin

Apr 30, 2007
    Newcastle, UK/Currently London
    Affiliated with Genelec, Avalon Design.
    This is a painful thread!!!

Mine was an all-original '63 Jazz, in excellent condition, but a bit of natural relicing, which made it look even sexier. Mint condition pickup covers: £500. Which is probably about $900, about a year ago.

Literally ran to the nearest phone, but alas, the guy had sold it about an hour earlier. It felt like losing the love of your life to another guy!
    The seller was very suprised that he'd had such a response for the bass....it's a shame cause I'd have gave him a hell of a lot more for it, at least four times what he was asking, so it'd have made both of our days!

Theres currently a '64 in worse condition for sale in my local guitar store for £8000!!!

:crying:

Such a tough thread. At least we're here to get each other through the grief!

18. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    A ealry guild starfire on craigslist for 250...I really wasnt interested in the bass itself, but the resale

19. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Old Style G&L SB-2 and a Peavey strat copy all together for $200, came with a nice tweed case for the bass and a leather gig bag :crying: The only problem was both the necks on both instruments were shot and the Peavey had a poor home spray paint job. At the time, I felt the cost of the repair for the necks was just too much, but now...

20. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    A few years back on eBay I passed on a SHERWOOD GREEN Cap neck Telecaster Bass for $800. Sheesh.
    I won't get into all the '60s stuff available in the '70s.