Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me your opinions on this rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vegaas, Apr 11, 2003.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Hey guys,
    Looking for your expert opinions on this rig I am putting together. I have limit of $1,600 for my rig. Tell me what is right and wrong with it.
    I play in alt-metal band, as well as in a light rock band.
    Here is the rig:

Mesa/Boogie Basis M-2000 Amp
    Ampeg SVT 1X15 E Classic Series
    Ampet SVT 2X10 HE Classic Series

So what do you think, could I do better for the money, or is this a pretty good setup.
    I know very little about amplification.
    Thanks again,
    Vegaas

2. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I know nothing about the head, but your cab choices are very similar to what I use. Mine are:
    SVT-115EN (same as 115E, with speakon jacks added)
    SVT-410HE

I LOVE these cabs... I push 'em with a GK 1001RB (540W), and they sound fabulous. I'm sure others here will recommend the higher end cabs (and more expensive) but I can't imagine needing more than what these give me. FWIW, I bought mine used and VERY "broken in" (and saved a heap o' cash in the process) They'll do ya good!

3. i had that EXACT setup. I still have my beloved head, but the cabs were the handicap. The M2000 is best when played thru less colored cabs (IE: Eden, swr, BERGANTINO, Epifani) see the hint?. The ampeg cabs work with certain heads really well; Ampeg, GK, Hartke, etc. but the Mesa's competencies are in conflict with the Ampeg's competencies and leave something to be desired. JMHO

My Suggestion would be to get Avatar's 210+212 and pocket the difference. That rig'd kill, and then you could get to know the amp's abilities and idiosyncracies well enough to make an educated decision.

Best of luck to ya!

4. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Thanks for the input so far. Anyone else agree with this?
    BTW, this ohm thing really has me confused, would I better off with 4 or 8 ohm. What difrence does it make? As I said, I have no idea about amps and speakers.
    Thanks,
    Vegaas

5. get 8 ohm cabs. if you use 2 cabs and daisychain them, it makes a total load of 4ohms. the difference in power is negligable, its the increase in speaker area that'll yield you volume increases.