Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tell me your P-bass Lyte stores

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brock29609, Nov 30, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    What model do you or did you own?

Likes, dislikes about the bass?

What mods did you make and what were the results?

2. A P-bass Lyte was the first proper bass I ever had. Bought it in 1990. I added a Hipshot D-Tuner and changed the pickups out for EMGs. It was a good bass, but even with the active electronics it was lacking in "balls", shall we say. I later got a Music Man Sterling which completely blew the Fender away.

3. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    what are the controls on the P-Lyte? Does it have a mid control? Blend knob?

4. Not sure.. I'd check Fender's Web site for the current specs. Mine had a blend knob and active bass and treble controls, but this was more than 10 years ago.

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had one I bought from Daddy's Junky Music for $180 (it had some dings and such, but not too bad for the money) about 4 years ago. I put in some Bartolini pickups and it sounded great. I also loved the Jazz sized neck. The main thing I liked though was the light weight, that basswood body was great. I wish I had it back now, since I've been having back problems lately.

I took it on tour of Japan and Korea in 2000, and the only problem I had was the neck needed a minor (about 1/8 turn) truss rod adjustment when I got there. All in all a pretty nice bass.

Here is a picture of me playing it in Japan.

[​IMG]

6. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Volume/Blend/Bass/Treble.

7. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Showdown, that's my exact bass. Same color and the Bartolini pickups are in the mail and should be here this week. I can't wait to install them. Which Barts did you have in there? Did you replace the preamp? I guess I'll give the stock one a try, then buy a Bart 2-band if I'm not happy.

I paid $167 for mine. Great value.

8. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used a 9J and whatever their standard P-style is, I forget the model number. It is the bassier sounding one (their pickups offer a choice between bass and treble sounding). I didn't replace the pre-amp. It was a nice sounding bass. I sold it to a friend, I may ask him if he will sell it back...

9. I had a P-lyte a while back, beautiful looking bass, but terrible sounding. I swapped out the pickups with bartolinis, and put a nice gotoh bridge on it, but could never get any decent tone out of it. I attribute that to the terrible preamp/circuit board built into them and their lack of mass in every aspect. I now play a geddy lee jazz and am in heaven.

10. kaindub

kaindub

Dec 1, 2003
    I had a P lyte once.
    The first one I ever looked at buying had a twisted neck so I passed on it. (I travelled 600 miles to find this out).
    The second one I looked at had a bad bow in the neck. I thought it was just out of adjustment as the kid I bought it offhad never had it adjusted..
    Well you learn. I tried all the tricks, even to the extent of taking the neck off and trying to recurve it with some weights. I think the problem in the end was that the truss rod had started to pull out as I could never get it to hold any neck adjustment.
    This and that I thought the sound was too bright for me, I sold it to a better home.
    It didn't suit my style of music, but it sure was light and the neck was slim.

11. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The bassier Barts is what I'm getting too. I think I'll go ahead and chance out that preamp.

CzarMike, did the Gotoh bridge require any drilling? Did the bridge improve the tone? I see that the Lyte doesn't have the same hole locations as standard Fender bridges.

12. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I think if I had it to do over I would change the preamp too. Then stock one was acceptable, but nothing special.

I'm not sure why you would want to change the bridge, the one on it is as good as the Gotoh IMO. It is a nice heavy bridge, not the bent metal that most Fenders have.

13. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Any other stories to share? Anyone?

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Oh my God! My story is very similar. Replace the word Sterling with Stingray, I think I bought mine in 1988.

Unfortunately mine was stolen.. It was red. Showdown, seeing yours in that pick bought back a lot of memories.

15. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I bought my P-Lyte as a backup, so I even if it can't go toe-to-toe with the Stingray's of the world, I'm cool with that. My USA Deluxe Jazz with Aggie OBP-3 will always be my #1. I'm just looking for idease for upgrading my newfound #2.

16. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I borrowed one in exchange for my Peavey Axcelerator for a couple of years. Needless to say, the Fender was a huge improvement over the Peavey! However, it couldn't compare to the instruments I own now.

I remember being able to get a decent Geddy Lee sound out of it, but after a while the frets went bad so I swapped it back for my Peavey (which I eventually sold and replaced with a Fender Jazz Plus).

Oddly enough, I "borrowed" the Deluxe version a few years later in a different band (the band leader owned it)! The Deluxe is a lot nicer (better wood, EQ, humbucking bridge pu). I'd go for that if you can afford it.

17. If I remember correctly, it had the hole layouts of a p-bass. I could be wrong though, that was a while ago.

18. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Okay, I got my P-Lyte all upgraded. Bart pickups, 2-band Bart preamp and a set of my favorite strings. Damn, what a great bass for the price...

$167 bass
    $22 shipping
    $30 Bart pickups (got them in trade)
    $70 Bart preamp
    ($60) sold original electronics
    $229 total!!!

It's not the best bass in the world, but it might be the best at that price. It's a least a very respectable back-up.