1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tell us your fantasies! Err, musically speaking!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom7, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    My dream fretless bass would be a collaboration between George Furlanetto (of F Bass) and Lee Barker (of Barker Vertical Basses).

It would have the gorgeous Barker bass form factor, but it would be a 34.5 inch scale and have the F Bass's astonishing B string.

My dream fretless bass would be a lineless 6 string bass with a neck cut and marked like Alain Caron's signature bass, the AC6.

Unlike the AC6, however, it would have a neck pickup. In total, the bass would have a neck pickup, a bridge pickup and (of course) piezos. Between the two magnetic pickups would be a ramp (a la Gary Willis and Matthew Garrison) with wood that perfectly matches the pickup covers and bass body. The pickups would preferably be George's F Bass pickups so I can tap all that tonal variety, although I'm sure I could be talked into something different by the luthiers if that is what they thought was best.

I would also like a little lever by the bridge that lifts a foam dampener up to the underside of the strings at the bridge, so that I can flip the leaver and lock it to apply the foam dampener have a more acoustic upright sound when I wanted.

And rather than have a tripod at the base of the stand that holds up this vertical bass, I would go for a weighted circle at the base. Some singers like to tilt, rock, roll and otherwise play with their mic stands as they sing, and a round bass is much easier to tilt and move. Likewise, I can see me dancing with my vertical upright bass as I play, and swinging around a round base (hard not to type "bass") would be MUCH easier than working a three-legged base I imagine. To balance the weight of the bass though, the base might have to be a cone instead of a heavy plate.

The bass would have two plugs ins (like my Al Dimeola acoustic guitar has), a conventional 1/4" TSR plug, and a mic-like plug so it can go direct. Hmm ... it may as well add a third plug for a midi. And the plugs would be at the bottom of the back side of bass, and the cords would run through the hollow pole of the bass stand so that they'd be out of sight. Speaking of out of sight, when going wireless, the wireless pack that would normally be attached to a person would clip to the bottom of the stand.

I can imagine playing this upright bass and standing next to the slender, 7 foot high, Bose PAS/CR speaker column with two sub woofers attached! I think it'd look very modernly retro, and very cool -- not to mention a BLAST to play!

So, am I the only one dreaming up basses that will never be built? Do you have a wish list you'd like to see built into a bass?

Share with me your wish list so I can steal from it and add to mine! :D

Cheers,
    Tom

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Muscal fantasy?

Capercaillie to play in New York.

. . . . and to be killin' at upright. (working on it, working on it)

3. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    Well since I'm just reading a guitar book: A Gibson ES335 bass:bassist:
    Or some other semi-hollow jazz guitar turned in to a bass, like Gretch or Fender Starcaster.

4. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Oh, one more thing: knobs.

My two Yamaha Patitucci basses and my Pedulla have a volume control knob, and a "pan" knob that alters the balance between the two pickups. By contrast, my 1975 Fender Jazz bass and my F Bass have separate volume knobs for each pickup.

The problem with the Volume/Pan knob setup is you don't have as much control over your tone as you do Volume/Volume. The problem with the Volume/Volume knob configuration is you can hardly turn your bass up or down without altering its tone.

I would like my dream bass to have two stacked knobs. The top dial of the stacked knobs would control the volume of the magnetic pickups. For example, the top knob closest the neck would control the neck pickup, and the top knob dial closest the bridge would control the rear magnetic pickup. As for the bottom dials, the bottom dial closest to the neck pickup would control the master volume of the bass, and the bottom dial of the knob set closest to the bridge would control the volume of the piezo pickups.

Did that make sense?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ohhh ill play.

Id love the best of my favorite companies... Music Man and MTD..

5 string, the body would be like a 535 with a swamp ash body and probably a flamed redwood top.

The neck would have the same profile as a Stingray5 , maple/maple , except it would have the birdseye-ness of my 1997 sterling, very pretty. It would have the wax finish that is on music man necks. The headstock would be MTD style.

Electronics: Essentially music man guts here. ideally id like HH, AND piezo, AND series/single coil/parallel switching. Yes, many tonal options.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm coming close to getting one of mine built right now.

An Elrick singlecut that has some of the aspects of the Fodera Matt Garrison model (33" scale, walnut body, ebony board, ramp), some aspects of the Zon Hyperbass (fretless, a Hipshot Xtender on each tuning key), and some aspects that are all Elrick (Bart soapbars and Bart 3-band, wenge neck, perfect playability, etc).

If I could have gotten a detunable bridge like the Series II Hyperbass on it I would have, but they don't make them for anyone else.

7. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Mmm... Figjam, I can hear your bass in my head and it sounds great!

Bryan, am I correct in understanding that Zon has a bass that has a hipshot on every string? In other words, you can drop down tune the entire bass with 4 to 6 flips of levers?! Cool! That goes on my list now!

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yup, the Zon Hyperbass does, but only if you order it that way. The Hyperbass Series II has a detunable bridge so you can adjust the tunings of all or some of the strings at once as well. Hyperbass is a $4000+ instrument though.

9. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    i dont have bass fantasies anymore, cuz i own more basses than everyone who has posted on this thread already combined. litterally!!!

10. my musical fantasy?..that would to be endorsed by fender and have them make me a bass whenever i wanted to whatever specs i want:smug:

it would be ash body, maple fb with 1 peice maple neck, satin finish on neck, natural gloss body, white bidning and blocks, badass II....wait, i already have that :smug: ksd.....

me change now...i wish i was endorsed by ksd and had an army of
    2x 60's 4 strings
    2x 60's 5 strings
    1x 60's fretless 4
    2x 70's 4 strings
    3x 70's 5 strings

:smug:
    1 of each 4 and 5 to have flats, another of each 4 and 5 to have rounds and the spare 70's 5 with rounds as a backup:smug:

11. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    HAHAHAHA this just made me laugh even though I've been at work all night. :p

My fantasy? Just a plain jane Ritter and a slew of AccuGroove cabs...:bassist: I don't need everything out there.

AuG

12. gdavis400

gdavis400

Apr 24, 2006
    new york
    Custom Schecter with see-thru red on quilted maple, all gold hardware, EMG-DC35 set, mohagany body, neck-thru construction.... locking nut, ebony fretboard, Bridge volume, Neck volume, Bass, Mid, Treble

Ampeg SVT-4Pro + Ampeg SVT-810E with aluminum cone speakers

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You own more than 20 basses?

14. I would want a jazz style bass with a mahogany neck and body, or maybe ash body. With an ebony fretboard and possibly an ebony top plate on the body. 5 string with a Tobias style asymetrical neck. Pickups I cant decide, maybe dark star or Fralin? And I know next to nothing about the different preamps. I do know I want a pickup switch and master volume and thats it. With a cherry burst on the non ebony parts. And all black hardware with a black swirl pickguard like old Ludwigs black pearl covering.

15. I want a hambone designed 6'er tuned EADGCF 32" scale, electronics would be volume, blend, Bass, Treble, Tone, blend in for diode distortion, and it would also have a mid-contour switch (also called a slap switch on some basses)
    bartolini pickups
    tune-o-matic style bridge (i don't know if thats what they are called for bass)
    Hipshot extenders on all six tuners,
    and an onboard GK-style MIDI pickup, the built-in style, not the kind that just sits on top of the body.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The only adjustable tuning bridge I've seen for bass is on the Zon Hyperbass series II, and they don't offer them on any other model (nor are they available for retail sale) :(

17. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I'm in.

Peavey USA Millennium Jazz - ash body, natural finish - maple neck white blocks and binding.

18. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

My Fantasy:

Three basses: a natural (blond) quilted maple, a dark figured walnut and a red wood all wanting me to play with them at the same time...
    ... Oh. No. Excuse me, that's another fantasy...

19. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Hmm.. your bass fantasy is more glamorous than mine.

20. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    AH man,
    three basses at one time, dude thats hotter than two blondes and a brunette at the same time.lol.