1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tell you funniest gig mishap

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by apollo bassist, Sep 24, 2000.

1. apollo bassist

apollo bassist

Sep 23, 2000
    The band I was in about 10 years ago (my first real band, btw) was playing on a very small stage. I was standing a little too close to the one guitarist and I was flinging my hair around. Well, as I threw my head forward and came back, my hair got caught in the guitarist's headstock. We both stopped playing, started laughing, untangled my hair and began to play again. The singer was laughing so hard he didn't sing the whole first verse to the song we were playing. I have it on video tape!

2. well... if you´d use the search function you´d find MANY threads on this topic...

search and thee shall find...

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well, we could add some more threads on the topic. We get new members daily who might have some funny experiences to share.

Anyway, Billy Sheehan, then in Mr. Big, tells about a similar experience with the hair. Back when his guitarist (Paul Gilbert) was playing his guitar with a Makita drill for one song, Paul's long hair got caught in the drill and wound up with it. SO Billy noticed the mishap and dragged Paul behind the speaker stacks. The only thing they knew to do was put the drill in reverse. I guess that worked, though I bet Gilbert lost plenty of hair in the process and it HAD to be painful.
    After that, I bet they were a lot more careful when they turned those drills on.

Jason Oldsted

4. Gard

Gard

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Hey Jason -

The version of that story I remember (from Gilbert's Guitar Player column) was that they eventually had to cut Paul's hair out of the drill.....really funny story though. :)

5. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

I was at that show!! It was in Atlanta, at the old Omni, in 1992 I think.. they were opening for Rush. No one could tell what was happening, and then a couple of us figured it out.. funny but kinda not funny at the same time!

6. Gard

Gard

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I saw them on that tour (Rush/Mr Big) in Orlando. One of the roadies came out during the "drill song" and held Gilbert's hair back. Seemed kinda odd at the time.....when I heard the story, it was HYSTERICAL in retrospect. :D

That was a cool show, at the end of Rush's set, Gilbert came out and jammed with them on "In The Mood", played Alex's solo note for note....looked like they were having a good time.

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Gard, I'm trying to recall, but I think Billy Sheehan tells the story on one of his bass videos. I never read Gilbert's version, but I accept your version as you are quoting Paul Gilbert, himself. He probably has a pretty good idea of what actually happened to his hair. And to tell the truth, I found it hard to imagine that simply putting the drill in reverse would release any or all of Gilbert's hair. I mean, we are talking about tremendous speed here. I would think reversing the drill would just make matters worse, tangling the hair even more! :)

Jason Oldsted

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    We were playin a gig in North Carolina, we were between sets when our drummer runs up to me and says they need me in the ladies room, there is a lady that is very sick. When i fought my way through the crowd and got to the lady i found a woman in full labor. OH S***!!! To make a long story short, i delivered a healthy 8lb baby boy.

9. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    :eek:

Are you a doctor??

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Playing a Christian outreach at a park in Dallas, a tag-along 2nd guitarist wanna be is helping with roadie duties, and let's loose a long string of obscenities about what he'd like to do to some hottie in the front row, right in front of a live mic!
    [​IMG]

11. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Yes I am.

12. apollo bassist

apollo bassist

Sep 23, 2000
    you're a Dr.? really? when do you find time to play?

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    As anER physician i am not on call, i work 36 hors a week(3 12hour shifts) and i am done.

14. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    So as a doctor, you get to work LESS hours than most of us!:D

15. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Sucks dont it!!!!