1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tell your story of when this happened to you

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Guild B301, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Just for laughs, tell your best story, about when this has happened to you. You are playing through your set, and have done it so many times you can play it in your sleep, (even possibly singing at the same time), when your mind starts to wander. You find yourself absent mindedly thinking about something like what you’re doing after the show, or sports, or a plate of nachos, .....when you suddenly realize you are lost, and have no idea even which song you are playing. Let’s have your best stories. How did you get out of it? Or, did you? I didn’t see a previous thread on this.

jamro217 and BLDavis like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    New title for thread: Lost in Spsce

Time warp back to Rio Hondo Junior (now Community) College, Whittier, Ca, Jan 1971. Cover band Opening for Blues Image in the cafeteria. Ride Captain Ride - Wikipedia was high on the charts. Lots of spotlights on a pretty long stage.

At that time, few bands were covering Chicago, BS&T, Electric Flag, Al Cooper Super Group, Grass Roots, among others. We got lots and lots of gigs. I really don't remember ever making a mistake until...

I think it was the second time I gigged my Sunn 2000s and cab along with my trusty, white '64 Fender Jazz. Played with a pick. Sounding Good but feeling a bit nervous though.

We had to bring our own PA. No monitors for the PA and we were set up, unfortunately, further apart than normal and I was standing pretty close to the 4 piece horn section. The PA was further out front of the band as well.

In the first break of the first song (Introduction by Chicago) my mind went blank and I lost my place. Guitar and keyboards seemed way on the other side. I think I was playing to the echo backwash more than anything.

I turned around and grabbed my cord and played with the volume control for a second until I joined back in a second later.

It was a struggle the rest of the set and while we got few kudos, I think everything sounded okay. I really wasn't happy with the whole situation.

Guess my HPF just didn't have the right mojo that night.:laugh:

Anyways, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    jamro217, kesslari, BLDavis and 3 others like this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Nah. I'm going to let you write your own book.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

jamro217, JRA, dbase and 1 other person like this.
  4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Our semi-acoustic outfit played a lot of coffee houses when that scene was happening around here. One of the regular places was next door to a 24 Hour Fitness. I had a direct view of everyone coming in the door and ordering. All evening long girls would come in in their work-out outfits. I swear I had more brain farts and dropped notes there than all other venues combined. :laugh:

Rusty Ogre, MonetBass, Baa and 4 others like this.
  5. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

All I can tell you is it happens to me too often, one of the reasons I'm in the mediocre bassist club.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    danesdad, jamro217, BLDavis and 2 others like this.
  6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    About 35 years ago, I was constantly on the road, playing one-nighters. It became exhausting. There was one night when I was playing with my eyes closed (a habit, to this day), and I heard a voice in the audience yell, "The bass player's asleep!" My eyes snapped open, and I realized that I had actually been asleep on my feet, still playing, for a few seconds... or longer! Of course, I had no idea where we were in the song.

7. Gibson Victory

Gibson Victory Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2019
    A quick nod to my drummer, or vice versa, has always worked well for me. Heavy downbeats, time for a solo.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Guild B301 likes this.
  8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    sometimes I would just watch the TV when we played to sparse crowds, you know your bored by then

ZedLepp, BLDavis and Guild B301 like this.
  9. In Chicago on a business trip in '85, just HAD to hit a few Blues bars in town during the week. Com'on, Chicago, right?. Training was in the hotel I was staying at. Actually got more sleep staying out til 2am in Chi town, training at the Hotel was at 8am, than I did at home closing bars at 1am, half hour drive to work at 7am.

Talked with a Bass player on a Monday night at a downtown bar between sets, Blue Chicago I think. He invited me to a bar he was playing at Wednesday night, different band.
    That bar was supposedly in the Blues Brothers movie, don't remember the name, too drunk. Ah yes, drunken youth. Got invited up on stage to play a song because of said bass player, might have been 3rd set. Totally lost where I was at in the song during a GREAT guitar solo. Finally realized I didn't know where they were at, just kept playing lightly until I heard the turnaround and got back in the groove. Too late, the whole band knew I screwed up, but the patrons didn't know, as usual. Nobody listens to the Bass player but the drummer? Or so I thought. Walked out with my tail between my legs. I was 21 and just getting into the Blues scene, still had a lot to learn. Everyone thinks its easy, just 12 bar Blues, right? The great players make it LOOK easy.

Big plus, got to see Jimmy Rogers and Pinetop Perkins right next to the stage at Chicago Blues that Thursday night. Place was packed and the Blues was a smokin'. Of course I was [email protected]!t faced again, but that is one memory that will stay with me forever.

10. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    I've never been to the point of not knowing where I was suddenly. But.....

Tour in '84-'85, six weeks of staging, 8 hours a day, six days a week. The show gets pretty well memorized. take it on the road for a year. Somewhere about half way through the year, total autopilot for the fingers. Show starts, having a great night, shooting the &^*# with the rest of the band while the cast does their thing in front of you. Blah blah blah.

And suddenly, it's the second to last song. What in the world happened to the rest of the show?????

BLDavis, dbase and Guild B301 like this.
  11. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Back in the good old days, before there was a damn tv screen on every square inch of wall space in every nightclub in the known universe, I used to "picture" some of my favorite movies on the wall opposite the stage. Most nights I could get in a double feature of Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles.
    Hey, don't judge, it kept me from going to sleep during Freebird, Sweet Home Alabama, Mustang Sally...…...
    B.

12. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    If we play a song I really like, I get caught up listening to our combined output and watching everyone playing their part and looking out at the crowd (if we have a crowd), I forget that I am also part of the band and loose my place. ;) Does that make any sense?

13. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I knew a drummer who actually kept a little TV on his bass drum so he could watch during wedding and corporate gigs.

mikewalker, McG and Guild B301 like this.
  14. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    When I was playing B3 in bands, I had the fortune of playing with some excellent drummers and horn players. Sometimes when we played an uptempo jazz or blues tune, we'd trade 4's.

I'd (foolishly) start to listen to the drummer do a very hip-complex 4-bar solo.
    Instead of counting where we were, I'd LOSE MY PLACE: totally lost; No idea of where the "one" was.

I'd have to watch the drummer and pray I could find when he'd come back to the "1"
    Not a good place to be.... :eek: :banghead: :facepalm:

Guild B301 and jamro217 like this.
  15. WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY back in the '70's we had this trio and got a gig in this dive bar with a handful of regulars there. It was a weeknight and we were going to do original music for the door. I was playing guitar then. The first song was sort of like an instrumental jazz chordal introduction piece. I started playing and the bassist was giving me looks I had never seen before. About four bars into it, the club manager told us the leave. I realized afterwards I was playing what should have been beautiful chord voicing on the wrong fret and making horrible cacophony. That's one of the disadvantages to not having a soundcheck, monitors or enough practice. I was never so embarrassed in all of my life. The worst part is that I wrote it. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

16. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    We had a song that had a long buildup section at the start with guitar fiddling around and the bass alternating between D and G. After the solo, the song would go back into that buildup section, and as part of our on-stage shtick, I used to play it with my right hand only, and pretend to check my phone on my amp. One night, I picked up my phone to do the bit, and noticed there was a text on top that said "911 call home now". My mind raced with possibilities...kid hurt, wife hurt, fire, flood, break-in...and I had no idea where I was in the song. Luckily, our drummer read my face, knew something was up, and had mouthed "go around again" to the guitarist, who finger-picked the intro chord while looking at me and then I knew where I was and was able to get back into it. Singer, as usual, didn't even notice anything, lucky fool. :rolleyes: I tell ya it's great when you and the drummer are truly locked in. :smug:

PS, if you're wondering... the dog had a scuffle with the neighbour's cat and had scratches on her snout. :)

EddiePlaysBass, Guild B301 and McG like this.
  17. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Was it like this?

18. No. Fortunately it wasn't in front of a large crowd that paid top dollar to be entertained, either. No, this mess was an attempt at a few strummed jazz chords consisting of open and fretted strings. By looking quickly at the neck (a maple necked Strat) and seeing a fret dot I thought I was in the right spot. It's astonishing how vastly adding a M2 instead of a M3 to an open chord changes it. It is even more horrific when it's supposed to be a 6+9 or an 11. Tragic. Had no idea how offensive six notes played simultaneously could be.

Guild B301 likes this.
  19. Similar story:

About 10 years ago I was asked to sub for a country/bluegrass/folk outfit whose bass player couldn't make a particular gig. Good players, original music but the tunes were a little too easy/repetitive - GCD and various iterations thereof {perhaps an Amin here and there}.

Anyway, it was a very small stage and I was obliged to sit on a stool behind the singer/guitarist. Late into the third set while playing what seemed like the 27th I V I V bassline of the evening, I became so fatigued I momentarily fell asleep.

I felt myself starting to nosedive off the stool and as my foot slipped off the footrest and hit the floor, it startled me back into consciousness and I sat bolt upright.

My reputation was preserved, as by all accounts, I didn't miss a beat.

Guild B301 and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  20. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! In my case, the songs weren't overly simple, but I'd been playing the same ones almost every night for months. :dead:

Guild B301 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021