Tell your thoughts on Jerzy Drozd.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marvinisbass, Oct 20, 2005.

1. I'm gonna make my third purchase of a high end bass in about 6 months and I'm thinking of going with a Jerzy Drozd. If you own one please tell what your thoughts are. Everything looks great.
  2. YC8

Jun 23, 2004
  3. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    Unfortunatly, I've never tried one but they seems to get great coments here and there, great work, great woods, great playing confort !

Just a question, I've never heard of a Jerzy with something else than ebony for the fingerboard. Is it a choice of Jerzy or a customer choice ?
    Can Jerzy make maple, purpleheart, wenge or other fgb ?

Jul 21, 2005
    I've had my Signature 5 string for about eight months now and only have good things to say about Jerzys instruments.The attention to detail is fantastic and the quality of the woods and the workmanship is superb.My bass has a 13 piece neck and is shaped in such a way that playing is almost effortless(mine is the featured sig. on Jerzys new website with the celtic knot inlay).Most importantly the bass has a great sound and is very clean and pure sounding.If u decide to go for it you wont regret it.Ps i have seen a 7 string with a maple board but im sure Jerzy can build you almost anything you desire.By the way he some great wood available for future orders on his site.Best of luck.
  5. I've had my Excellency 5 for a few weeks not and so far it's great. I have a review and pictures on a recent thread somewhere.

As a follow-up to that.... I recently changed from the Labella Slappers light gauge that come standard on Jerzy's basses to DR Hi Beams (45-125). Wow... what a difference, especially in the lower end clarity. I found the Slappers on that particular bass to be quite mushy on the lowest notes of the bass. Very nice!

Feel free to PM if you have specific questions.

Edit: I see you are in Canada... don't know the issues of purchasing in the US... but I would highly recommend talking to Dan at Luthiers Access Group. He always has a number of Drozd's in stock (that Ambronia Excellency is very, very nice), and he's a good, honest guy to deal with. Also, not sure it's still available, but that used Stambaugh looks like the deal of the century... Chris's basses are also top notch and a very, very good value for the dollar.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've personally played a Jerzy with a cocobolo fingerboard. He builds to suit the customer.