tell your worst "i need this because (insert bass idol here) played one!!"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Dec 13, 2005.

1. For me, it was getting a Wah pedal or trading my favorite 5-er for a 6'er. Oh yeah, any pedal box made by Zoom too..... I REALLY thought i was gonna be a "funk machine" when i was younger, and the wah got used maybe,........twice. Trading a custom 5'er for an Ibanez BTB 6'er was RETARDED as well. i hit the C string ONCE in 4 months. Anyone else really just blow it when thinking you "must add this to your arsenal" and get the rotten end of the deal???

do tell... :smug:
  2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, Tim C and Flea kinda influenced me early into getting a MM. So I went to the store, tried one out and was like *BAM* 'That's my next bass'.

And I still play my sterling exclusively as it's so versatile/sounds good in any situation. Although I may get another bass for recording..

Even though it wasn't a bad thing, still got influenced by them :p
  3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    No, mine are usually more like "I need _______ because everyone on talkbass has one!"
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I initially looked into Warwicks because of Stu Zender. On a negative note, this kid traded a custom green Pedulla MVP 4 for an Ibanez Ergo 5. Yep, you guessed it.....Nu Metal had claimed another victim. This was about 3 years ago. Still think he's playing it? Atleast the weasel @ GC was nice enough to trade him straight up. :rollno:
  5. I've had a bad GAS for a Carl Thompson ever since I got into Primus/Les Claypool....5 years ago. They sound so perfect. They look so funky and if I ever get one, I promise you pictures of the baddest CT ever made. If I'm gonna spend 5000+ on a bass, you can be sure that it's gonna look AMAZING and sound even better.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You better get to buying because Carl is retiring very soon.

The only equipment I ever bought because someone else played it were my first P Bass and my first SVT. And it wasn't just one was most of them. Otherwise I have never bought anything because someone else played it. Not that I didn't want was because I never had the money. And now that I have the money, there's nothing else I really want.
  7. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I bought a Ric... Cliff Burton and Kyuss infulenced move. I never could get a sound I liked out of it and it killed me to play. On the bright side, I got it cheap and traded out of it fairly so there was really no loss on the deal.
  8. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I got my first monstrously huge Acoustic amplifier because I needed something to be heard over two guitarists with a Marshall and a Mesa/Boogie. But once I had it someone pointed out that it was the same amp Jaco was using, and I was like "Yes. Yes it is." :smug:

It was an Acoustic 360, if anyone cares. An enormous, refrigerator-sized mud-monster, but it was loud.

Boy howdy, was it loud.
  9. Damn. Then this means I will probably never own one of my own. Maybe a used one some day, but never MY own custom CT. I sent an email a while ago to his website. I got a response from a guy (I forget his name) who gave me the phone number of the shop and a ball-park figure for the price. He said the "basic 4-string" STARTS at $4,000. There's no way I'm gonna have that much money to spend on a bass any time soon....unless.............LOTTO TICKETS!!! *goes to 7-11*
  10. WHen i first started playing i saw no need for more then 5 strings, Bass was supposed to be low and since u can't go lower then B u dont need more then 5 strings(i know that isnt true now), anything higher could just be played on guitar, :roll: ya i know i was pretty dumb, then after i started getting better and started listening to Primus I tried to play Jerry Was a Racecar driver and was like, o so thats why u need 6 string, and then I eventually got a 6 string fretless, and then a whammy bar on one of my basses, im not trying to be a copycat of claypool but yea he deff influenced that pretty directly
  11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I picked up my Kubicki because I had fallen in love with the bass...and knowing that guys like Stuart Hamm, Vail Johnson, Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey had played them added to the appeal....

Perhaps the bigest strain on my wallet is the fact I'm in love with Stanley Clarke's Alembics....:help:
  12. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I wanted a Kubicki badly for a while. I wondered how much of that was because I dug Stu Hamm, and how much was because they sound so very good on a recording.
  13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Something similar happened to me. My first "contact" with high end gear was Stu's blue Kubicki seen in his first instructional video and it made my jaws drop. To make things worse and exactly on those days, the most famous Salsa band from my country got a white Kubicki and recorded their last album (which turned to be a smash hit) with that bass and that made me (and so many musicians here) think that it was the best bass in the world, as if that exists. It was only known as the "Factor" bass and even some jokes could be heard about "getting a Max Factor". It's still a bass I like a lot. So many people think that it's ugly and outdated, but I really like it.
  14. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    I got a Rick because Chris Squire has such a great sound. It was a '68, black, beautiful........too bad it sounded like crap and the neck was as rubbery as dancing with an octopus. That was a long time ago. Since then I only get something because I like it.
  15. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I'm to think of one but I can't really. I own a P bass and J bass and neither of them are really "out there" purchases
  16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    started with GHS boomers because of flea.

then i realized that i hated those strings.

then i got Dean Markley sr2000s because of john turner. :p

and now all is right with the world.
  17. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I bought a package deal of an Ampeg SVT-CL and 810E from a local store who had it on consignment. The seller was some guy who was getting a divorce at the same time he was giving up bassplaying, and he needed the money. Talk about timing.

I had no use for such a behemoth of an amp, but I bought it at the strong suggestion of my teacher at the time, a "Pbass and Ampeg" kinda guy. I didn't know what I was doing at the time, being a relatively new bass player. I guess the $1000 price tag for an unused, brand new ampeg stack pushed me over the edge. :D
  18. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

a beatiful 72 Pbass fretless w/case less than a year old, an old Gubson flat top for a Pedal Steel and I paid list, what a dope!

Wesley R.
  19. i got a ceb-3 chorus because i heard thats what justin chanceller used, and i thought it was to give him that thick sound but it turns out that was the actual tone of the Wal... i dotn regret getting the pedal thoug.. its awesome
  20. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I also got a wah because of Timmy C.I'd get more cos of my heroes if I had some money!!