Telnet? Is there anything better?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hi all. I'm sure if your reading this thread, you are A) A moderator who has to read every thread or B) you know a thing or two about computers. I remeber back when I had no idea what the hell telnet would do. But here's the scoop...

I'm in a intro to C++ class and to connect to the server where our C++ compiling programs and files are located, we need to be on campus or connect via telnet. When I connect, it's really slow. I know I'm on a 56k modem but this is driving me nuts. What should I do so I don't have to endure the lagging, it's driving me nuts. Are there better programs that are telnet like? Or am I doomed to deal with this?
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Doomed in terms of the speed I think, sorry. :(
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm better than telnet...for what it's worth :meh:
  4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I use telnet at work to connect to the state library system, on a cable modem,it is very fast.

It is much more streamlined than jave apps, if you are just transferring text files, it should be faster than the internet.

56k today is, well, ... antiquated.

I would look for a better connection platform.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

humbug! Oh well... thanks for the speedy reply. :meh:
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Very generic telnet question, but how do you delete files?
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Whatever path you saved them to,
    to begin with.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well they aren't saved on the hard drive. They are saved on the server. To delete them, I need to type something in telnet. I've done it before, I forget how.
  9. That depends on the system you're telnetting into! I'd guess it's probably unix-based - try

rm xxxxxx

where xxxxxx is your filename - keep in mine unix is case sensitive.

As far as better-than-telnet alternatives, I really like SSH...

10. What he said.
    for example if you have a file called to delete it the command would be:

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    AH, that was it, thanks folks. One more quick question, then I'll officially get back to my homework. (Telnet is being speedier now that I closed KaZaA ;) )

Whenever we wanted to print at the lab we would type printDundee xxxxxx (name of document, Dundee being the name of the computer lab). How would I print from home? Is there any way, or am I going to print at the lab tommorow. I'd like to get things done tonight though. :meh:
  12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    If you are using the standard Windows (DOS) telnet function I'd change to Procomm. It won't make it any faster but it is more functional.
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    At my work, we just switched from Telnet to Groupwise.

Had to sit through a 2 hour presentation and all...
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Was it worth it? ;)

I've decided, for printing, I'm going to copy my results into notepad and print from there.
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Telnet is screwing up on me. When I scroll down it's freezing previous text on the screen. Ugh. I restarted the computer and everything. I'm going to have to try something else I guess. Damn, I'm not sleeping tonight I guess. :meh:
  16. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Telnet should be perfectly fine across 56k dial-up as it uses very little bandwidth. Telnet is only a protocol that allows you to connect to a remote machine as if you were sitting right at it. It is not an application itself. If you're looking for a new telnet client check out SecureCRT. :)
  17. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    PuTTY is a superb little program and handles telnet as well as SSH sessions.

Regarding things like removing files and printing, you need to find out what system is installed on the machine you are telnetting into and learn the basic system commands for that machine.

You also need to be very clear at all times which machine (local or remote) a command will execute on - for example, if you run a print command on the remote printer, it will spool the output to a machine in the lab, not the printer on your desk!

For a little light relief, try downloading and reading Neal Stephenson's excellent In the Beginning was the Command Line :D

18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

If you're going to be doing a lot of programming, get used to it.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeeesh, heck no. My math skills are far too lacking for me to even consider a computer science major. This semester I have had a few "all nighters" already. I'll stick with Photography thank you very much.

Oh BTW: I downloaded AbsoluteTelnet and it helped a lot.