Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Telsa (JJ) KT88s or Svetlana 6550C??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Feb 1, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking to your tube my power section of my Trace tube head. These are the two types of tubes I'm looking at. Which is better, and why?

2. The Svet 6550's have the same problem as their KT88's. Svetlana tubes aren't as internally stable as, say Sovtek, and become more prone to microphonics. I've got multple sextets of Svet 6550C's myself and they work great, but they rattle much more than other 6550 types.

If the Sovtek KT88 is unavailable, try the EH KT88 or the EH 6550. Both are Sovtek tubes. The new Ruby 6550C Lord Valve sells is made using old GE equipment and is also very good. If you want to go with the JJ KT88, it's good sounding and try Eurotubes for it: www.eurotubes.com. Coyoteboy retubed his Aguilar DB728 with them.

If your amp is anything like the VA 350, it runs between 6-700 volts on the plates and 4-500 volts on the grid. That high voltage is what keeps them so clean sounding.