1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Temperature change and it's effect on bass necks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BullHorn, Jul 19, 2012.

1. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Where I live, it's currently 35c-45 (95-113 fahrenheit). Whenever I'm at home (about 35% of the time), I have the air conditioner cool down the room to a controlled 25c (77 fahrenheit) but the other time when I'm not home, the basses heat up.

Can this daily drastic change of temperature cause harm to the bass' neck?

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    My bedroom swings from 90F to 40F some nights. No insulation in one wall and a leaky window. I have never had problems with leaving my guitars and basses out on stands.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Wood is not significantly affected by temperature change. This is often a point of misinformation. Temperature changes per se have little effect, but changes in temperature are often accompanied by changes in humidity and that's where the problem occurs.

For instance, if you leave your bass in a hot car in the sun, it will get quite hot in the car and your bass may be damaged. This is because as the car heats up the relative humidity plummets. The wood looses moisture quickly under these conditions and shrinks. The results can be drastic. But if the moisture content in the air was maintained at the same relative humidity, little or no damage would be done.

The culprit is humidity, not heat.

4. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    OK, the natural humidity is very high here, between 40% and 90%, when I have the AC on I think the humidity drops way below then 40%. This... is not good. :oops:

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Don't forget, if you are on the road, airline checked gear has who know what temperature. In the UPS or FedEx truck, it's either roasting or freezing. If you are playing in the winter, the gear takes a beating in and out of clubs, busses, vans, etc. Also in the summer time. Just make sure you always have your truss rod and bridge tools with you and don't sweat it. (no pun intended)