Temperature effects

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, Dec 24, 2000.

1. What happens to a bass if it's left in a car for 3 days straight and there's no driving in between that time and the temperature is -20 outside? I think I might have a little problem...
  2. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I don't think there's necessarily any problem, as long as you let it warm up gradually. When you bring it inside, leave it in the case for 2 or 3 hours so it warms gradually. I've heard if the bass is very cold and you exposed it to sudden warm temperatures, it can cause checking in the finish, though I expect that depends on what kind of finish it has. You may also need to do a truss rod adjustment, depending on how stable the neck is, but that's no big deal. Overall, I don't think it's a big worry.
  3. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    S.S., I believe, as does robert, that this really shouldn't hurt your bass as long as you take the precautions that Robt. suggested.

Letting your bass get too hot may be a different story, though. A friend of mine left his Martin guitar in the trunk of his car all day in the hot sun and when he opened the case the top had come completely off his guitar. He sent it back to Martin and they repaired it. The guitar was saved but it cost him a wad of money.

Merry Xmas, Pkr2
  4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Working mainly in Canada for over twenty years I've had lots of opportunities to freeze instruments (and amps, feet etc.) and with one exception have never had any problems. I learned the hard way that a frozen finish will shatter if exposed too quickly to warm air by opening yer case too soon. Let it thaw at least an hour first and not too close to a heater; speed kills. Interesting sound though the finish shattering, wish there had been inexpensive samplers back in those days. :rolleyes:

Like pkr2 says heat is a different story with the rule of thumb being: Don't.