Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Temperature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bartman, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

I just got a Warwick 6 Bolt-on recently and since this is my first REAL bass on which I spent some REAL cash, I want to make sure I dont screw it up. ;)

I keep my bass in a small jamming/rec room in which I spend the majority of the time when I'm at home. The room is pretty cold in the summer (I put an AC unit in the window) and pretty hot in the winter (I have heat blowing through vents). I'm wondering if these temperature changes would harm the bass in any way or would it warp the neck. The wood is Ovangkol and fretboard is Menge I think.

Thanks

PS: I LOVE THIS BASS :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :bassist: :bassist:

2. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    A good rule of thumb would be to keep it at a temp at which you are comfortable. If you feel either too cold or hot then your bass is either too cold or hot. Usually 70 degrees is quite comfy for both human AND bass :smug:

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Humidity will also cause an effect on the bass. Worst comes to worst you'd need to do a setup (or get it done)

4. I would be more worried about humidity, moisture changes affect wood more than temperature as long as the change intemperature isn't a drastic. If you are worried, get a humidifier and like Robman suggested keep the temp comfortable for you.

5. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    +1 about humidity.

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey its time for wal-mart to clearince out there humidfiers! Get a really nice large for for like 30 bucks! Just look on box for room size and and make sure you always remember to refill with water. Also might buy yourself a humidity gauge. Nice digi ones are like 20 bucks.

7. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    sticking it back in a hardshell case will help. The extra insulation will help with temp swings.

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    +1

Warwick Hardcase.

[​IMG]

9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah but i dont like to stick my basses in those cases all the time! they are afraid of the dark

10. thanks guys

:)

11. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    It is best to keep your humidity about 55%.