1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tempi for Bach preludes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by champbassist, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Are there any recommended tempi for Bach's preludes?
    I felt it'd be a good idea to look up some recordings of pro Bach players like Richter play it and to play it a given prelude at that tempo.
    But it makes me wonder: how were the tempi they're playing at decided upon?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    play it at whatever tempo you want. i only have learned the first prelude but i discovered i was whipping it good compared to recordings i downloaded of cello players. btw, that is a good idea to download recordings...i've heard a couple and they tend to be slower than you think they'd be.

and they decided on tempi, or tempos for us regular folk, by bach suggesting the tempo with words and not numbers. which leads to the next suggestion...i hope you're not planning to use a metronome when playing it. metronomic precise timing is not what you want when playing bach solo pieces.

3. The problem is there are no tempo markings (not even in words) in the preludes.

I'm definitely not going to use a metronome. But, obviously, I need to know that a piece is supposed to be played presto and not adagio :p

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    why? mix it up a little...have fun.

5. Mr. Berlin? Is that you? ;)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    who?

:bag:

7. Irving.

:D

8. do you have pdf's? email them to me!

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
  10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

A copy/paste from a YouTube video page (not mine) with some interesting info on the subject:

11. I've read all this guy has to say. His research seems pretty meticulous but I don't think anybody has verified his claims.