Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Template for routing...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rumblinbass, Aug 30, 2004.

1. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I have a copy P-bass body that I am wanting to route for a jazz pickup at the bridge position. Where can I get a template? Or does anybody have any other suggestions?

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  3. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    sweet - thanx.

Now what do I do about placement? How do you do that? Do you measure from the bridge (not likely due to differing bridge dimensions), from the neck, or something else?

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    measure from the nut.....t

5. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    the nut...

that sux...I don't have a neck for this yet. How far from the nut?

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    grab a good body pic off the web.

i use illustrator and the cadtools plugin to get accurate dimensions.

f

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  8. Yep, I do this all the time. I download a good flat pic of the bass and enlarge it to easily mark the nut and the 12th fret spacing. Then I resize this dimension to 1:1 and I can take any measurement I want in relation to the other components.

9. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Would it be better to measure from the neck socket in my situation?

10. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    The bridge pickup on a Jazz bass is 1/16 of the scale length from the bridge, which is an even harmonic of the scale length. For a 34" scale, 1/16 of the scale is 2.125 (2 1/8"). So, measure 34" from inside the nut (or 17" from the center of the 12th fret) to find the 34" line at the bridge end, and then 2 1/8" towards the neck from there. That is the center for the bridge jazz bass pickup placement.

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Is the position for the 70's style closer to the bridge? Or farther?

12. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I guess that's it then - I need to get a neck before I can route for the bridge pickup. I was just hoping I could do it without the neck.

13. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Why would you need the neck?..t

14. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Because every method explained to me is measured from the nut of the 12th fret. Bass Kahuna mentioned that the bridge pickup is 2 1/8" from the bridge. That makes me a little uneasy because there are more bridges around than you shake a stick at. I also measured the distance from the bridge to the pickup on my Smith and it's under an inch and a half (I'll double check that though) from bridge to the pickup. That also raises another question - from what point on the bridge do you measure from? If I measure from the saddle, they are all in different places due to intonation.

15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Quite right. The bridge point that you measure from is the "virtual bridge point," which is - here you go again - exactly one scale length from the nut, which is twice the distance from the nut to the twelfth fret. It is, as you were close to figuring out, the point that the bridge saddles would be located if the intonation adjustments weren't necessary.

The location of the pickup with respect to any other part (base plate, etc.) of the bridge is inconsequential.

16. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Pilot is right, and I should have been more clear. When I stated it is 1/16 of the 34" neck scale length from the bridge, I was referring to the "virtual" bridge position, which is 34" from the nut, or 17" from the 12th fret (the 12th fret is center between the virual bridge point and the nut...).

So, to find this point, measure 17" from the 12th fret. Put a piece of masking tape on the bass under this imaginary line, draw the line on the masking tape and measure 2 1/8" towards the neck from there. You'll notice, of course, that probably none of the string saddles are exactly on this "virtual" bridge position, what with intonation adjustments and all....

And as silly as it sounds, I'm not sure of what years that Fender might have changed the pickup positions...

17. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    "On my '66 Jazz the center of the bridge pickup is 2.5" from the bridge saddles......t"

Why make it more complicated than it needs to be. I am assuming you know where the bridge goes. If you want I can measure from the neck pocket for you .....tom

18. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Any measurements will help.

I assume that the distance from the bridge to the pickup varies with each manufacturer. I am wondering if I should go with my Smith as a reference.

19. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Oh, by the way...thanx everybody for your assistance. It never fails to surprise me how helpful TB'ers are.

20. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Any of you know where I can score some (free) body templates?