1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tempo Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Jan 19, 2013.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hey, a friend of mine told me he had this bass and wanted me to check it out. It's a Tempo made in Japan. Nice bass but needs work. Action is WAY high! Pickups not working and one has a broken piece that the screw goes in and it won't stay in position. Gonna see if my luthier/tech can restore it to decent playing condition. What do you think this is worth in good working condition??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    No idea what it's worth in dollars, but that would be a great project to do yourself. All it really needs is cleaned up, a few screws replaced, and a neck shim. If there's a truss rod make sure you lube it a touch before you start cranking on it.

Any, my, is it ever sunny where you live!!! I'm amazed you don't go blind!

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yes, there is a truss rod. Sorry about the bright pics. I did have it in the sun as my phone camera doesn't have a flash. I'll take a few more pics of the full bass with my regular camera.

4. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Worth fixing up. Tempo basses were built by Matsumoku, so have a creditable pedigree. They were mostly variants of Aria models.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chris Kohlman, from Kohlman Bassworks, did a fantastic job of cleaning and restoring this beauty. A neck shim was needed, along with a new bridge concept, now has the action very low! This bass is extremely playable now. The electronics were fine. They just needed a little cleaning up as well. New strings and this thing plays very well. I now have GAS for one of my own.

7. buftfan

buftfan Commercial User

Mar 1, 2009
    Newport News, VA
    Owner, Kohlman Bassworks
    A quick and dirty low budget repair, albeit a bit of a creative one. But it worked well, and now I want one too...

8. swsmusic

swsmusic

Sep 23, 2010
    Newnan, GA
    Hello,
    Can you post pictures of the overhaul? I just purchased one just like yours, but it need a good amount of work before it will be really playable. Thanks in advance!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021