Temporary dot markers?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Arthur U. Poon, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm having problems at times seeing my side dot markers on my Modulus Q-4. I'm hoping someone can recommend a brightly colored tape or something that I can use that will be easier for me to see. Something simple that won't damage my neck's finish would be nice.

Thanks, A.P.
  2. Two choices come to mind. First is the glow-in-the-dark tape that is used in the theatre for dark staging. I've seen some that's white under light and a nice soft white/green when the lights are out but this version is a bright yellow:

The second idea is any of the day-glo high performance vinyls that are used in the sign industry. These colors sort of "gather" light - for lack of a better way to describe them. When it gets dark enough to lose detail of things - like a fretboard - these colors really spring to life. With either of these products, an X-acto knife and some patience should yield some good results.
  3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Hambone, thanks so much! The glow tape looks like the ticket.

Best regards-A.P.
  4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    On all my basses, I've used glow-in-the-dark fabric paint. You can pick it up at any Arts & Crafts store for a couple dollars. It comes in dozens of colors and several glow-in-the-dark ones as well.

Scribbles and Polymark are the ones I use:

It comes in a squeeze bottle and you can have it just come out a drop at a time. I put a small dot on each side marker. It dries cleanly and works perfectly - it will show up under stage lights, or if you have a light show going on, the glow feature really helps on dark stages.

If you want to take it off, you simply peel each dot off. The paint takes on a rubber-like consistency and doesn't leave any permanent mark or residue on your bass.

Kind of a poor man's LED's :D
  5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    That paint is a great idea. I often have trouble seeing on stage when the lights are down or making shadows. I guess I will put away the christmas lights I taped to my neck. They were starting to get in the way of my playing. :D
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i use simple white out. it's bright and easy to remove. works great.
  7. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Or, you could shell out some bux and send your bass over the pond to Sims for the LED treatment... :eek: :D