1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Temporary loss of sanity: Gorgeous Sage 5-string custom bass TENTATIVELY FS/FT

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    SANITY RECLAIMED. THE BASS STAYS. (unless I get an offer I absolutely cannot refuse :D)

I fully expect to regain my sanity at any moment, but I just want to see what else is out there.

I got this bass a little over a year ago. It's a 5-string bolt-on bass, fully custom-made by Sage Guitars in 2006. Swamp ash body, figured walnut top, high gloss finish. 6-bolt flamed maple neck with a really nice wood stripe down the middle that appears to be flamed walnut. Macassar ebony fretboard with silver-ringed dark wood dot inlays. Black Hipshot hardware and black Schaller straplocks. Aero pickups with macassar ebony covers, and a macassar ebony control cavity cover on the back. The pictures show it with an Audere preamp, but I have since swapped that out in favor of a Seymour Duncan 3-band preamp. This bass is very lightweight, well balanced, and sounds amazing.

Scale length is 35". The string spacing is perfect for me - about 18 mm. I have large hands, so narrow string spacing is out of the question, even though I mostly play 4-string.

I've been wrestling with 5-string basses for years, and have, until now, never found one that agreed with me. I always end up selling them. This one is the first fiver I've ever played at band practice. My bandmates can't stop staring at this bass when I bring it to practice.

There is one small headstock ding, along the edge (you can kind of see it in the pictures), a tiny area of some residue on the fingerboard (possibly a dab of glue, but it's barely noticeable), some very minor wear to the black paint on the hardware, and maybe a few scratches here and there on the body. Overall she's in excellent condition. I do not have a case but could maybe rustle up a gig bag.

Why am I listing it? Like I said, I'll probably come to my senses soon. The only thing that I'd change is that I'd prefer a neck-through (or maybe set-neck) bass. Although the bolt-on neck joint on this baby is spectacular and comfortable to play, there's just something about the sleekness of a neck-through bass that I find sexy. :D

So with that in mind, I am listing the Sage for [DEL]$2250[/DEL] $2100 + shipping o.b.o. (lower 48 preferred.) The same bass brand new would cost between $3200-$3500.

I would also consider trades or trades + cash for a comparable fretted neck-through (or maybe set-neck) 5-string bass with similar features and similar string spacing. Run anything by me with pictures and I'll take a look.

Things I like: neck-through basses, exotic woods, high-gloss finishes, inlays, 35" scale (but would consider 34")
    Things I'm not interested in: bolt-on basses (have too many), 4-string basses (have too many), fretless (already have one and don't play it enough), oil finishes, odd body shapes

I reserve the right to delete this listing at any time :D

Pictures:

Sage%20001.

Sage%20008.

Sage%20006.

Sage%20010.

Sage%20004.

Sage%20011.

Sage%20012.

2. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    Sexy bass bump!

3. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thank you! It is certainly sexy and has nice low action. I've kind of got my eye on a neck-through fiver with similar features, so.... BUMP! PM me with offers - most interested in cash.

4. Love the body, it reminds me of a squashed Spector. Little rich for my blood, but it inspires me to look into Sage instruments for future reference.

5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Squashed Spector, heh heh. It's a SWEEEEEET bass...... but you know how GAS is....and I kinda want something neck-through. Man what is WRONG with me? I'm fickle about basses and bands. My wife says it's a good thing I'm not that way with women (we've been married 6 years, together almost 11.)

:help:

Price dropped to $2100 + shipping

6. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    OK I picked it the bass up to take more photos.

I can't do it. This bass is too amazing. I'm keeping it for now.
    Will keep this thread open in case someone makes me an offer I can't refuse. But right now, I'm going to keep it..and go play it.

7. Just perusing the classifieds to kick tires, and stumbled upon this. Smart man keeping it - that is one gorgeous bass.

Neck thru, schmeck thru :D

8. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Sanity re-lost. Re-opening this thread to see if there's any interest...

Cash offers preferred.

G.A.S. is a b*tch.... :meh:

9. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

A bump for Kill Bosby!

10. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hahah thanks. Kill Bosby's been dead since 2007, but I've been working on Damon's songs for his solo project band "Disappearing Inc." So is Gregg, who played guitar with me in OK Hemingway. Gregg and I might have something else brewing here within the next couple months too but it's very tentative right now.

I can't edit the original thread so I am closing this one to make a new one.

11. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

Well, I will be keeping an ear out. And I knew KB was, it's just nice to get a bit nostalgic here. Never had a chance to see OK Hemingway, but I remember KB very well. Really enjoyed you guys. So, I guess I'm still living in the past. :bag:

12. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    I'll trade you a Dean Edge 1, but thats my highest offer.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.