1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tempted by this Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have some nice basses, including some boutique-y instruments, but some of these newer Ibanezes are really catching my eye. I'm not a huge fan of Bartolini pickups, but this one has Nordstrand big singles. They had a five-string version of this in the lineup before, but I think the 6 is new for this year.

Ibanez.com | Basses | SR1206E

It's only about $1300, and has a wenge/bubinga neck.

2. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've always thought those are sweet, but seeing how dinged up the finish is on my SR506 just from regular playing, I dont think I could pull the trigger on a prestige. It'd be hard for me to justify the upgrade too with how high quality the SR500 line is, I'm curious how similar an old SR506 with Nordy big singles would sound in comparison?

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Ibanez has really stepped up it's game making really quality instruments! I love the SR line except for the string spacing. Would love to see a 5 string with at least 18mm spacing. Isn't Adam Nitti playing a custom with wide spacing?

4. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    The Premium & Prestige have a natural finish, there's no paint or oil to chip off.

I own SRs and I've played the Premiums - IMO there's no comparison, the Premiums are killer basses. I don't know about the older models, but these are instruments with Prestige craftmanship quality and a tone like no other SR - massive, crystal clear, extremely balanced on all strings (the B is to die for) and growly as hell - prolly the growliest Ibby's I've ever played.

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Yup, Adam Nitti has a custom SR 6-string that has 18mm spacing and a purpleheart 'board. There's limited info online...I think his facebook page has some shots.

I really hope they start offering 18mm (Even 19mm) on more of their basses...

6. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    very nice instrument,go for it!

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    You'll be tempted even more when I tell you how great it sounds and plays.

If I liked the SR body style, I'd probably get one. It's one of the few basses I would buy and not modify at all.*

*actually, I'd still put at least lightweight tuners on it

8. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The Nordy pickups really kicked these into high gear, I'll say that.

9. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I've had my 1405 Premium for a week now and agree with everyting said here . Played it at practice with my band the other night and it just kills . These sixers should be great if that's your thing .

10. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Growlier than an ATK? I doubt it.

11. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I'll sell you my SR700 for 1/3 the price.

12. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Who me or the OP?

I'm not buying sorry.

13. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

Mar 20, 2011
    Clovis, NM
    I have the SR1405E with the nordstrands and I have several Ibanez 6-strings.. I can tell you that this will be a killer bass! Tone and playability will be incredible :) I just don't like the look of the ovagnkol tops.. hence why i got the 1405.. so i'll probably buy it to have a 6 with the nords, but it's getting painted for sure. Killer bass tho, If you get one, you'll surely not be disappointed.

14. Oh god ... GAS attack. I always said they needed a 6er in the Premium line! I prefer the figured maple top of the 1400/1405 though, too bad they didn't come out with a 1406!

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    The Japanese Ibanezes have always been good.

16. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

Mar 20, 2011
    Clovis, NM
    I second that! I was hoping they would too:meh: ..disappointed :scowl:

17. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Oh no...they just had to make a Premium 6er...

18. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    If I am not mistaken the premium line is not actually made in Japan. I played a 5er when I worked at GC and if memory recalls I am pretty sure it was Indonesian. Just came with better parts and more attention to detail then the regular old Indonesia line.

None the less the 6er they just released is pretty awesome and still an amazing deal for 1300$. Just wish Ibanez would bring back the Japanese made BTBs :(

19. Blomvik

Blomvik

Jan 20, 2012
    How are the 1205 compared to for example a Fender American Jazz Bass. Sound, tone, feel, playability? Is the neck slim or thick? I had a Ibanez GSR 200, and i really liked it. Now I play an USA Jazz, and i really want to try this 1205. But I'm told these basses are cold and sound bad.

20. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Ibanez makes awesome basses. if you're curious about that Ibanez bass, I'd say give it a shot. you might be impressed by the sound quality of that bass guitar.