Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tempted...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpankBass, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Hmm, local music shop is selling an Alvarez (similar to the one pictured http://www.alvarezgtr.com/bigguitarspgs/AEB5ABbig.html) for 200 bucks. The original price was 600 or something like that, they just want to get rid of it, its been there for years.

I love this bass, but do I need it? My Fender works fine and sounds great, but this is a damn good deal! My friend who works there suggested I put up my Fender for 300 on cosignment(sp?) so that way I would get 250, assuming it sells. But then again I think he just wants the commison.

Should I give in? Help me, God help me.

2. Keep the Fender, and buy the other bass... :)

Handy to have a back up.

:D :bassist:

3. I already have a backup! :bawl:

...maybe I could sell the backup!

4. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    There's nothing wrong with having more than 2 basses. I have 2 now and my third (Danelectro Hodad) should be here tomorrow. And I plan on getting even more as soon as I find a job.

5. I had an Alvarez of similiar model, but 6 string instead of 5. It was a decent bass for being introduced to the extra string (I usually play 5), but I just never played it. You just have to think about if it will see any action, or if it will just sit around. I assume your Fender is a 4 string? (never assume!). What is your backup? The Alvarez might just fill a niche that you've been missing. Play it some more, and if you don't feel you'll get much use out of it, pass on the deal. I'm sure you could get most of your money back if you sell it.

6. Yeah the 6 string version was up for about 300, and it went in a couple days! :eek:

My Fender is a five string jazz, my backup is a p-clone that I defretted. So of course no one is gonna buy the p-clone!

And my problem with having more than 2 basses is that when I am in the "mood" of playing one, the other one doesn't get any attention. So I doubt it would be worth it -for me at least- to have more than 2.

And I have been playing this bass for about a year now! :eek:
    I have a lot of friends that work at this music store, and I usually like to go down there once or so a week to jam with them and other random customers that come in. My bass of choice is this one, or the 6 string, or one of the acoustics when we go outside to jam.

7. Update!

Birthday + Girlfriend = :D

The bass will be mine in a week or two!

:D :D :D

8. The bass is mine! I love this thing, its the tone i've been lookin for. It is actually the one pictured here:

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/bigguitarspgs/AEB5BCbig.html

My ever so loving girlfriend got this for me for a birthday present. Boy, I tell you what, she is getting some tonite!

:eek: :D

9. Damn man, kickass!

Can I have her when she's finished?

...Daddy wants a trace, baby!!!

:eek: :cool: :p

10. No, she's MINE.

MINE!!!