Ten Years Ago Today....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    ...I purchased my first bass.

A bass truly suited for poor hair metal musicians, my first bass was this salmon pink Moridira Hurricane, purchased from Hinckley's Music in Willimantic, CT for $200.

Heavy, ugly, odd-sounding, hockey-stick headstock, and with the world's worst setup, it was a dream come true and I played the hell out of it. At least I did for a year, when I got my first five-string that this guy went in the closet for good. These are the only photos I could find at the moment- they don't do the salmon pink enough justice :p

Here's a pic of an identical model to show it in all its glory- even this terrible banana yellow was a better color than mine, although the fretboard on mine is pretty awesome looking for a cheapo bass:

I still have it, although it's been in a state of disassembled, badly defretted, paint-stripped stasis for a few years now. Even with all of that, it probably is still better than when I first got it :D

I'd never even picked up a bass before that day, so it's also been 10 years since I first began playing today. Just thought I'd share.
  2. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Congrats man! Time really does fly doesn't it? A friend once told me that life is like a roll of toilet paper-- the closer you get to the end, the faster the roll spins!:p

I wish I still had my first bass (and a few others that were sacrificed along the way)!

3. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    now look at you! Elricks for the win!

4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont reember the exact day i started playing bass.. it was in april sometime though.
  5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I don't remember the exact day either, but it was like around March... just twenty years ago. It was a Peavey T-40 and also remember that in May/86 I got my first serious blisters playing it. It was a Sunday (I think the first of the month) and a big event was taking place: Pope John Paul II visited my city for the first and only time. I spent the whole day trying to figure out a tune that I liked a lot and it was pretty hard for me. At night, I couldn't believe those BIG yellowish balls in my fingertips. Had to wait like five days to play again.
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, for me it will be five years ago this Tuesday :smug:
    I'm going to celebrate it with lots of bassplaying :bassist:
  7. steve21

steve21 Banned

That's a cool bridge pickup.
  8. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Spring of 1979 for me. I still have the used Ibanez Fender Jazz Lawsuit bass, the Peavey TKO and the original cord I bought that day. My mother drove me, but I paid for it all. The bass was $175 and the amp was $165. In fact, I still occationally use the amp.
  9. It was the fall of 1975 for me. The bassist in the Jazz band at school graduated and I got a wild hair that I'd like to play in his place. I was already a band geek so the possibility of increasing my sex appeal with a guitar was extremely enticing.
  10. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Man, I'm an old b*stard :rollno:

It was the 2nd day of school in 1961, I was 10 years old and they had the tradional "music" day for all of the 4th grade kids. Because I was tall they pointed me to a double bass (3/4 size), a brand new Kay at the time. And because I had started to play trombone the previous year (again, I was tall and had long arms to reach the 7th position), and since the bass notation was in the same range as the 'bone, I became the bass player ......... :cool:

1st electric bass was a '63 Fender P (sunburst) played through a Sano accordian amp that my parents bought me in late '63 ....
  11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Did it work???
  12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    How do you think he got the nickname Hambone ;)

Looks like the years have taken their toll on my memory too- I went digging through my receipts on a whim and I actually found the original receipt for the bass, only marked as 2/20/06, exactly a week after my 17th birthday. Ah well-two days ain't bad; I sometimes forget to pay my bills for a lot longer than that :D
  13. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Jan. 12, 1985 about 3 PM. (4 days after my 16th B'Day).

Was supposed to be a drummer. My brothers band (he plays that thingy with the small strings and sounds all whiney and stuff, they call it a geetar or something) practiced in the basement and their drummer never (and I mean NEVER) showed up, but left his kit there. So I jumped on and started playing.
    After almost a year or so they fired him. Well just called him after not seeing him for 3 months and told him to get his stuff out. Anyway, My bro and I were leaving to go to the music store with money I saved from odd jobs, X-Mas and my birthday ($500 to be exact) to buy me a pretty pearl white Rogers 4 piece kit with hi-hat, 1 crash and a ride-all used BTW.
    Well, mom asked where we were going and we told her.
    She blew a gasket or three yelling about bringing more loud drumes and stuff (I can't remember exactly what she said as I was dodging her spit and such flying out of her pie hole and keeping the blood from hitting the carpet that was dripping from my ears).
    Bro's band didn't have a bass player at the time, so calmly he turned to me and said, "Hey, why not play bass?!?! We can sneak in the amp and bass and mom won't notice, she'll think it was here all the time!!. And I said "Sure!!!
    There you have it.
  14. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    November 24, 1990 for me. Right after Thanksgiving. Just earlier in the week I decided I was gonna take up bass guitar (I played guitar and keyboards up to then), and that Saturday I went down to a local shop and bought a cheap Samick and a Peavey Microbass amp. The bass bug was planted in me long before that though, ever since I was 13 I wanted to be like Sting and Geddy Lee.

That bass is long gone (after I acquired more basses, I ended up sawing off the horns so the body was teardrop shaped (like Geddy Lee did to his old Precision bass), spray painted it blue, ripped out the frets, etc.... eventually, the truss rod broke about 10 years ago, and I just threw the whole thing in the dumpster. I still have its pickup though!), and for all I know the Peavey amp is probably still tucked away in a closet somewhere at a friend's parents' house (I traded it for my friend's little Marshall guitar practice amp after I got a bigger bass amp rig.)
  15. Dec.86,heard the bass lick inRUSH's La Villa Strangiato:eek: ,Bought a PEAVY t-40 and And AMPEG VT-40 within a week(iKnow its a guitar amp but that thing kicked butt!)BASS PLAYER EVER SINCE!:bassist: :D :rollno:
  16. I started playing regular guitar when I was 5 (around 83). When I was about 14 I saw Primus on the Pork Soda tour in Radford, VA and was absolutely blown away. That was definitely the turning point for me musically. A couple weeks later I had sold off my electric guitar along with my amp and bought bass gear. I was home... :)
  17. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    november 12th 2002, i have bought a bass every year since: daytona pjb200, MIM jazzV, Vigier Arpege 3 and Yamaha trb 1006.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool Bryan happy anniversery ! :)
  19. oathbass462

oathbass462 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    June 27, 2005. started playing my squier on my birthday last year. Getting ready to upgrade it to the us highway one jazz i got waiting for me at musician's friend.
  20. i started playing in the frist week of november 2002. its only been three years but three good years for me. i still have my first bass and i never plan on getting rid of it (although i have tried to sell it a few times).