Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tenacious D - serious or what?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just happened to see a video on MTV last night, which seemed to me like a superb "parody" - we might call it "micky -take" over here! ;)

So it was like Lord of the Rings in the video and it had every cliche in prog-rock/heavy/hair metal thrown in, in about 3-4 minutes. There was a hilarious lute solo and even a quote from the synth parts off Jeff wayne's "War of the Worlds"

So what's the deal here and was the guy in the video the same one who was in that movie "Shallow Hal" - it certainly looked like him? ;)

They cannot be serious!!

2. That song's called "Wonderboy" and it's the guy from Shallow Hal. They have a CD out, I haven't heard all of it but "Tribute" is a pretty good song.

3. Bruce Lindfield

But to me it was like "Spinal Tap" - making fun of this genre?

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It is the guy from Shallow Hal. He was also in Hi Fidelity.

They're not serious really, they're tongue-in-cheek - but they're actually pretty good!

They were on Jonathan Ross' show a few weeks ago, they sang live, they're good performers. The song they did was kinda a pisstake of Stairway To Heaven, and all that serious heavy rock type stuff.

5. Bruce Lindfield

So - is he actually in the band, or is it just a "cameo" appearance for the video?

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah he's in the band. It's just him and another guy.

7. fufu

fufu

Aug 18, 2002
    Tenacious D is composed of Jack Black (Shallow Hal, Hi Fidelity, other movies) and his brother (Joe Dirt, other movies). They're not a very serious band, sort of like a more talented Weird Al Yanchovich if you will... They're cameo-ed in a lot of movies..

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    More talented?? How so? Yankovick is quite a talented musician, his backup band even moreso. Maybe what you meant to say is "more hip" or "more popular with the MTV kiddies."

brad cook

9. fufu

fufu

Aug 18, 2002
    alright.. I was wrong to say that.. They're both talented.. But I don't watch MTV, if that was what you meant..

10. Bruce Lindfield

I thought what I saw was definitely funnier than Weird Al - or at least what I've seen - the Michael Jackson pastiches etc.. And I'm just an old fart!! ;)

I want to know who actually played the Lute solo -some serious "Medieval" shredding going down there dude!! :D

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The a cappella part in "Tribute" is really really cool!

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Jack Black is IMO one of the funniest guys around.. I have known about tenacious D for about 7 years now. Before anyone knew who they were. Its funny stuff. They write some good music if you ask me. Its just fun stuff

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They're not serious, but unlike Weird Al, they're not really parodying anything in particular.

I'd put them in the same bag as They Might Be Giants or MC Paul Barman.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    More talented? I don't know. Talented? Definitely. As far as guitar playing, they are far beyond most popular acts in terms of skill. I am under the impression that Kyle, Jack Black's "Brother", is doing the guitar playing, and he's pretty damn good. One of my friends saw them with Weezer and said that Jack Black can not only sing very well, but puts on an incredible show. There's some "studio magic" going on, but don't doubt for a second whether or not he's a great singer.

As it is, they are definitely a "joke" band. Their CD (which is all I know, I have never seen the videos) has almost as much talking/comedy/skit material as it does music. (Inward singing, anyone?) They are talented, nonetheless.

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, he does. He's funny.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My girlfriend and I are big Tenacious D fans. We've got the studio album, three bootleg albums of live material and demos from throughout the years, and all of their television shows on tape (they did six episodes of their own comedy show on HBO several years ago-sort of a spinoff of Mr. Show with Bob and David). Jack Black and Kyle Gass (not his brother) both play guitar, but Jack Black pretty much only plays some rhythm guitar while Kyle plays most of the main guitar parts as well as all of the occassional leads. They are a comedy band, but they must be pretty serious to have been doing it for so long now. We also saw them play live in New York last year, and they indeed put on a great show (can you say Sasquatch being raped by Spider-Man and Popeye?). And while he has a lute in the video, it sounds like Kyle's playing a regular acoustic guitar.

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    on the cd, dave grohl plays drums, a guy from the vandals plays electric guitar, and....someone(?) plays the bass...

jack black does the lion's share of singing. gass plays the acoustic. not sure if he plays electric, too.

18. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I saw them on Jonathan Ross too - they were bloody good for two blokes with guitars. "Tribute" might be a joke song but it's a decent tune. I just wish he hadn't had to rip his shirt off... :eek:

19. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    DO NOT QUESTION THE POWER OF THE D!!!!

seriously they kick massive amounts of ass!

20. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    They used to have a radio show...i have a recording from it somewhere....funny stuff.

Jack is a dude....although the vids are gonna get wearing soon....over-exposure.