Tenant's rights in a roommate situation, AKA Help! my friend's roommate is an A-hole!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    A friend of mine is in a house sharing situation with six roomates. Three, a woman, her boyfriend and their 5 year old daughter, live in a downstairs self-contained apartment. My friend lives upstairs, and has a young woman with a 6-year old daughter, as well as another guy in his late 20s. Each person has their room and share the kitchen and the bathroom. There is one extra room which is a common room and does not belong to anyone.

The problem is the second guy. Basically, he won't let a fly fart in the house without his express written permission, but he somehow feels entitled to piss on everyone else who lives with him. He expects everyone to do the same amount of cleaning although he makes a bigger mess of things than anybody else. He's actually labeled the shelves in the pantry and in the fridge and even the sponges on the sink. One time, he let himself into the downstairs apartment and into their bedroom without knocking to complain about something or other. Also another time when he thought my friend wasn't home he also let himself in to do who knows what. My friend being there stopped the guy in his tracks and me friend has since put a lock on his door. He has engaged in shouting matches with the woman downstairs (when her boyfriend wasn't there) in front of her daughter.

The incident was the usage of the common room. It is a smallish room that leads to his room. He put up a curtain so he could close it whenever his friends came over. My friend took it down because the guy is not paying for that room and he doesn't want the other guy to start feeling entitled to it.

Needless to say no one else who lives in the house (or the landlady) can stand the guy and wouldn't mind seeing him gone.

What options do they have to get either get the guy in line or out for good? Humorous, evil responses are also encouraged. Gotta have some fun.
  2. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    are all their names on the lease? Well, I guess that shouldn't matter...My opinion would be to have a house meeting, take a vote and tell the guy he has one week to get the heck out, that you are all tired of his B.S. including walking into other peoples bedroom without knocking. The part of him having a screaming match w/the woman who lives downstairs in front of her child was not necessary...That alone is grounds to be kicked out...I would personally throw his crap out on the lawn and change the locks w/your landlords permission. Have someone in line to move in if the rent is a problem...How did I do?...Tell you friend good luck.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    There isn't a lease per se. Rooms are rented out individually, so the guy has a lease for his room, nothing more.
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

Flog him :)

Is it just me, or is it funny when you say flog? It's a funny word. Flog.. hehe... flog.

Or what you could do is charge him with invasion of privacy, and assault for yelling at the woman. Verbal assault is still assault. And say the ony way to drop the charges is if he gets the heck out of the house.

Or flog him :)
  5. House meeting. Definitely. Along with a letter to you landlord, explaining her situation.

Then a public flogging.:D

Rock on
  6. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    hehehe.... 3 votes for flogging. Do it!!! Flog him!!! Muahahahah!!!!!!

Something else similar to a flogging that sounds funny too...

Bludgeon him!!!

Either way, let the beatings commence!!!

On a serious note, has there been any action or progress with the dingleberry in question?
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm ... we used to call that a blanket party in the Marines. Just start calling him Foad (pronounced fwahd).
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Set up camera's in your friends house and market it as a cheap rip-off of The Real World.

:D ;)
  9. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I've heard good stories from Marine buddies of mine about blanket parties.

I was told one story where one guy caused the entire unit to have to do PT for like 6 hours straight. That night, they wrapped him in a blanket, put him in a trash can, and threw it out the window.

Good stuff.
  10. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    Depends where you live, really...

Some states require certain steps. I'd have the landlord contact Housing Authority, or whatever you guys have there.