Tendonitis of the Medial Epicondylitus, or Bass Elbow to me

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by k2ski2k, Jul 7, 2001.

1. k2ski2k

Jul 7, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Has anyone ever had tendonitis in your elbows from playing the bass. I have been playing for eight years, and for the past two I have developed a sever case of tendonitis. I had surgery on my left elbow June 11th to clear scar tissue and relocate the tendon, and the same will be done to my right elbow on the 11th of August. I have been at wits end for the past couple fo months, and a subject to not being able to play my bass again, and was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them. Very desperate for help. Thank you for your time.

P.S. I have been diagnosed with tendonitis of the medial epicondylitus. Tendonitis by definition is a degeneratory function by which tendons breakdown, due to repetative motion. I have been diagnosed with this for 2 years. In those two years I have had cortisone treatments, 3/elbow. Ultrasound therapy, and celebrex, a common anti-inflammatory medication. None have which worked and therefore surgery was considered the only option. I am not a weightlifter, never have been. If I have, only in short bursts throughout the year, never constant. So my wondering is if anyone has had the non-responsive tendonitis of the elbow. The pain comes from the inside of both elbows(when stretching out palm side up).
  2. I've played alot of years and know alot of players, and I've never heard this complaint before. Your two elbows are in entirely different positions, doing different things. If you have the problem in both, I have to guess that it's caused by something else. It would be nice if your orthopedist played bass. :)Good luck.
  3. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Without knowing your complete medical history, you may be experiencing what is known as an injury of repetative motion. These are very common, however, the cure isnt one most people can live with which is stop what makes it hurt (in plain english).

Maybe a little more background is required.

4. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    Hi K2ski2K,
    I have had problems with my elbow, shoulder and wrist on my fingering hand. I too tried the medication and one cortizone shot. The experts came up with " we could try surgery"
    I'm sorry , BUT I PLAY 300 gigs a year!!! I don't have time for the "possibility" of releif with the kniife. I had a friend show me some Health products from Japan, the company is called Nikken. They are HUGE in Japan. These products, that you wear, have helped me immensly over the past two years.
    If you want to know more about them email me.
    Also in combination with these products I have been taking glucosamine sulfate, and MSM. You can find this stuff in a combination form at most health food stores. Grocery stores are often carrying these also.

Good Luck,