Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tendonitis with a geddy?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Hamzter, Jun 19, 2005.

1. so I had a sore wrist for about a week and don't remember injuring it in any big fall or anything so I went to the doctor and she says I have tendonitis, well I figure this is either from playing bass with incorrect technique or I put some strain on my wrist some other way that I can't remember.

Now the bass in question would be my geddy lee sig.

I'll describe how I have my bass when I play. the body is about stomach height when I play with the top horn hitting around the heart area. Now with the geddy having such a small neck I didn't really think it would be that but a bad fretting technique that would be the culprit. I do find myself bending my wrist forward a lot when I play but my wrist doesn't hurt while I play only when I bend it back or put any weight on it. Any suggestions or insight that might help me?

EDIT: I'd like to add I've been playing for 3.5 years and this is the first time this has happened.

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Here's some yoga stretching excerises that might be useful. I even stretch my upper arm and shoulders as well. I recommend using ice too, as it decreases blood flow to the iced area. Ultra-sound could be help too, which a physical therapist will have. This would involve cost though. Lastly, I use a back-brace for added lower back support, and tennis-elbow strap, to take the tension of the tendons around the elbow.

The bass position sounds about right. The method I use is, where the bass is when I'm sitting, is same when I'm standing. So it's always at the same position, whether I'm sitting or standing. Bit of Billy Sheehan methodology there for ya.

All seems very complicated, but keeps me pain free, and allows me to put in a little bit more effort.

Bend hand to the right
    [​IMG]

Bend hand to the left
    [​IMG]

Bend hand downward
    [​IMG]

Bend hand downward but reversed
    [​IMG]