Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tennis elbow!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Aug 4, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Yes. What an annoying thing. From like two weeks ago I've been feeling this pain in my right forearm, but just when I apply some force i.e. lifting my bass with just my right arm.

Pain isn't new to me. In fact, I think that one of the goals when practicing bass should be similar to the ones who pump iron or have a physical training routine. (Well managed) pain is a sign of progress. I mean, if I feel that pain is really big, I stop, take a break and start again when I feel fine, so I'm used to that. Also, I have experienced similar pains in my left forearm when I have gigs with my electric upright after a long time of not playing it (my gigs are usually 5 hours long), but it disappears after a couple of days.

But again, this pain comes from like two weeks ago, so I went to the doctor and that was the diagnosis: Lateral epicondylitis, a.k.a. Tennis elbow. He prescribed me Acetaminophen and Methocarbamol plus five therapies. Got the first this afternoon. This woman cleverly located the exact spot of the spasm and made me see the stars [​IMG]. The thing is: I don't know if this happened because of playing "The Trooper" with two fingers so much these days (I'm having kinda "Maiden Fever" after so many years of not listening to them) or because of my PC's mouse. This pisses me off!

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Sorry to hear the news. I had it last year, so I know how it feels. There is an elastic band made to ease the pain and aid healing of tennis elbow. I bought mine at the local pharmacy. I don't remember the brand name and have since given it to another sufferer. It is about 3" wide and wraps around the forearm just under the elbow. It seems to limit the muscle movement and the associated tendon pull. Wear it for a couple of weeks and I think your pain will end.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    stop spankin it.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'd never play my bass if I was in any kind of pain.

-Mike

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Tennis elbow is better than tennis ball.......

:bag:

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Thanks for your advice, Clink. I'll ask for it tomorrow.

DEFINITELY!

7. Playing sometimes aggravates my tennis elbow, which initially came from bad ergonomics at my office workstation and was made worse by carrying around my infant daughters.

I had several cortisone shots before the problem was finally brought under control. Next stop was surgery.

Ask your healthcare provider about exercises you can do to help prevent it. If you don't address the underlying cause, it will just keep coming back, and after you've had it for a while, it gets harder to get rid of.

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I hope I won't need cortisone. I hate it! My mother, who used to be a thin woman, became fat because of that. She suffers from asthma and had been taking corticoids from a long time. Fortunately she could control her weight, but never got to be like before. For a while, she got that "moon face" thing. I know cortisone is very effective, but all those side effects are a really bad thing.

9. Cortisone shots have only a local effect. They hurt like hell, but the cortisone stays in your elbow. If you get too many shots, though, eventually the surrounding tissue becomes damaged. That's why if you can get the problem under control, your best bet is to make sure it never comes back.

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

Yea, I suffer from tennis elbow as well. The cortisone shots helped me for a time, but the problem has never completely gone away for me. My doc did say you shouldn't get more than 1 cortisone shot every 6 months or you'll damage the tissue (like sparktone said).

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    sing
    Sing along kids

I came down to the breakfast table
    felt like I could die
    Tried so hard but wasn't able
    to look you in the eye

For i'm feeling so much shame
    yes i have brought disgrace