1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tenor 5-String (EADGC) Players?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JazznFunk, Apr 17, 2001.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I was just curious as to how many of us are out there that use this setup for a 5-string bass. Fretless 4 is my primary bass, but the tenor 5 is sort of my "alter ego." Anyone else out there a fan of this setup for 5-string?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've currently got my Curbow Int'l Petite set up with TI jazz flats tuned EADGC. Last week, I had Curbow drop a new 18V EMG preamp into it to run with the Bartolini pickups. Headroom from hell, and a tone to match.

3. Yes. I love it. My 5 is set up E-C and I am enjoying it immensely. A bass guitar rather than an electric bass.....

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I do use that tunning on my Cort Curbow Fretless 5.
    I tuned it that way because it allows me to be more in tune in the higher register...
    I was trying to play "Manthing" from Michael Manring when I got my fretless and saw myself in Intonation hell, so last week I decided to tune it in fifths.. God You need BIG HANDS for that kind of tunning (I also broker a string), so I decided to tune it just EADGC and Im happy with it.

I wish I had a Fretless 6... but since I dont use it so much Im not getting one..

5. I converted my Zon Sonus Custom 5 from BEADG to EADGC and I love it! It opens up alot more chordal voicings and upper register soloing possibilities, not to mention a wider variety of altered tunings and harmonics. I use a heavier 'E' string because its often tuned down to low 'C' allowing me to produce tones similar to a low 'B'.
    It's also more economical to do this because you can achieve more notes from the same amount of strings. :)

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wouldnt a 5 string Tenor be ADGCF? I suppose it could be either. Then again, the ADGCF is more like a soprano bass. :D

7. Would that warp the neck of a Squier?