Tenor 5-String (EADGC) Players?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JazznFunk, Apr 17, 2001.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I was just curious as to how many of us are out there that use this setup for a 5-string bass. Fretless 4 is my primary bass, but the tenor 5 is sort of my "alter ego." Anyone else out there a fan of this setup for 5-string?
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've currently got my Curbow Int'l Petite set up with TI jazz flats tuned EADGC. Last week, I had Curbow drop a new 18V EMG preamp into it to run with the Bartolini pickups. Headroom from hell, and a tone to match.
  3. Yes. I love it. My 5 is set up E-C and I am enjoying it immensely. A bass guitar rather than an electric bass.....
  4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I do use that tunning on my Cort Curbow Fretless 5.
    I tuned it that way because it allows me to be more in tune in the higher register...
    I was trying to play "Manthing" from Michael Manring when I got my fretless and saw myself in Intonation hell, so last week I decided to tune it in fifths.. God You need BIG HANDS for that kind of tunning (I also broker a string), so I decided to tune it just EADGC and Im happy with it.

I wish I had a Fretless 6... but since I dont use it so much Im not getting one..
  5. I converted my Zon Sonus Custom 5 from BEADG to EADGC and I love it! It opens up alot more chordal voicings and upper register soloing possibilities, not to mention a wider variety of altered tunings and harmonics. I use a heavier 'E' string because its often tuned down to low 'C' allowing me to produce tones similar to a low 'B'.
    It's also more economical to do this because you can achieve more notes from the same amount of strings. :)
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wouldnt a 5 string Tenor be ADGCF? I suppose it could be either. Then again, the ADGCF is more like a soprano bass. :D
  7. Would that warp the neck of a Squier?